myMobile - New Moodle 2.0 theme - APPROVED

myMobile - New Moodle 2.0 theme - APPROVED

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 43
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

A new updated version of JohnSt's myMobile has just been approved. This needs testing, so if anyone wishes to try this out please do so. You can download this from HERE

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: myMobile - New Moodle 2.0 theme - APPROVED

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

John,

By no means a full test - but a quick try out on my HTC android phone and this looks really good. I plan on trying it more fully as soon as I'm able, but as this is my only mobile device in this sense (my netbook runs ubuntu and firefox) I'm not really able to test it as a general mobile theme smile

Thanks for all your work on this John

Richard

In reply to Mary Evans

by scott charlson -

I have been testing this theme for a few days.  I think it has tremendous potential.

Navigation seems to be the biggest problem at the moment for me.  I am unable to navigate with any measure of success.

On the upside:  It handles content and images really well.  The choice block works great.  And, I really like the way it formats tests.

Can't wait for the next revision.

In reply to scott charlson

by John St -

Scott,

Can you describe the navigation issues you are having in a bit more detail and also what device/browser you are using? Thanks!

john

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Vivian -

Hi,

Background - 2 themes set within the Moodle site - a 'standard' theme for default, and 'myMobile' for mobile devices. No other settings have been changed as the site (and server) is only 2 weeks old and it is just being set-up. The site is not yet registered with Moodle.org.

Just tested the theme on an iPhone 3 and all was going great until I pressed the 'switch to standard theme' button at the bottom of the page (at least I think thats what it said). The switchover worked, but now I can't switch back to the 'myMobile' theme. I have tried to log out/log in, but that hasn't worked. Initially when you visit the site the 'myMobile' theme is visible, but after logging in it goes back to the standard site theme, on which there is no 'switch to myMobile theme' button.

Would it be an idea to also include a 'myMobile' block in the download file so that this can be installed at the same time on a front page as a work around for the switching themes issue?

I am very new to Moodle so this suggestion will probably go down like a lead ballon!! lol

Many thanks,

In reply to Mark Vivian

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

When you say only 2 themes set in Moodle site, does this mean you have deleted all the other themes?  I can't see that some how as that would cause all sorts of other problems, so I will assume you have Standard as the default and MyMobile as your only Mobile theme, which is I suppose what you said. LOL

I don't know how this is supposed to work, but I would assume that the Mobile theme would be set in your Profile as a User theme, that's assuming you have activated that option in your Themes settings page? Same goes for allowing Theme by URL too, this means that you have options to switch between themes anytime/anywhere, a bit like having a Martini! LOL

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mark Vivian

by John St -

What version of moodle2 are you using? 

In the footer (in moodle 2.1+) is a link (when on a mobile device) to switch to the standard theme. If you click this, it goes to the standard theme. In the footer of the standard theme is a link that should say "switch to the recommended theme for your device" (or some language) which will switch you back to the mobile theme... 

In reply to John St

by Mark Vivian -

We are using Moodle 2.1.1 (Build 20110801) - I only updated to this a couple of days ago.

However, I believe our theme was based on one that Southcote School had used (I don't know which one their theme was based on) so it is possible that it is not as 'standard' as I first thought. The theme designer is visiting next week so I will get him to have a look and see if he can tweek it.

I have tried the 'Formal White' theme and the link was on the bottom to 'switch back to the suggest theme for your device' and it works, so this also points towards the theme needing a tweek.

Thank you very much for you help.

Mark

In reply to Mark Vivian

by Mark Vivian -

Update:

The theme is based on 'Actic' - this is not currently installed on our site and I cannot download it to see if the 'switch link' is on the bottom as the download link to the theme is not working.

In reply to Mark Vivian

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mark,

Are you sure the Mobile theme is based on Arctic? Well I can tell you now the link you are looking for is not in Arctic as I built that and is currently being updated that's why you can't download it. I've sent you a message to tell you where to download an original copy from.

Cheers

Mary

Edit: I've just checked on the MyMobile layout and is not remotely like Arctic at all...I don't know where you got that idea from.

MLE Strange!!!

In reply to Mary Evans

by John St -

Mary,

I think he is saying his default/standard theme is based on Arctic. You can select a mobile theme and a default theme. What appears to be happening, for him, is that whatever theme he has set as the default/standard theme does not have the correct footer code to render the link back to the mobile theme... 

In reply to John St

by Mary Evans -

Sorry, I read the whole comment wrong from the start. First I thought Mark said your theme was based on a theme by some school or other...and then the reference to Arctic...well what was I supposed to think! LOL

So where is the code and why don't I know about it? Ummm???

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John St -

The switch themes link should be outputted with:

echo $OUTPUT->standard_footer_html();

I would assume whatever mods he made removed this code, thus no link back to the mobile theme from the standard theme.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Vivian -

Mary,

Sorry for the confusion - our default theme is 'possibly' based on your Arctic theme. Our 'mobile' theme is John's 'mymobile'. Also, many thanks for the Artic link - downloaded & installed.

John,

Tried the Artic theme as the default and the footer does not appear, tried the 'Formal white' theme and it was there. Sounds as if this is a coding error, Mary might be the best person to sort it out as it is her theme.

Is the 'switch device' footer a new thing to Moodle?

Thanks for all the help so far.

In reply to Mark Vivian

by Mary Evans -

There is a coding error, but nothing to do with the Mobile issue as that is only recent technology. The problem with, Arctic is that the default.php was not doing the job it was supposed to do. That's why I took it out of circulation.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Vivian -

I will let the theme bloke know so that he can try and update our theme (he's visiting tomorrow to see if all is well). I will pass on what you have said and see if he can base ours on another theme to get all the coding working. Any ideas for a good 'base' theme?

Thank you for your quick response

Mark

In reply to Mark Vivian

by Mary Evans -

I'll send you a link to a download of the layout files for arctic with the fixes in...then you dont need to rebase your themes.

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Mark Vivian -

Many thanks Yes

In reply to Mark Vivian

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mark you can now download the updated version of Arctic from HERE

If you have any problems with it please let me know/

Thanks

Mary

In reply to John St

by Craig Mackey -

John,

I'm having exactly the same problems described by Mark above - can switch to "standard" theme ok, but can't get back to the "MyMobile" theme. This is a real hassle because on the mobile devises the awesomebar menu system in the decaf theme doesn't work.

We've just upgraded from 1.9.5 to the latest version of moodle (Moodle 2.1.3+ (Build: 20111201) ), and are running these themes, all downloaded and installed yesterday afternoon:

• Standard - decaf
  • Legacy  -  Standard (legacy)
  • Mobile - MyMobile
  • Tablet - MyMobile

Any ideas on how to sort this out.

Thanks,

Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by John St -

It is likely something in Decaf, as it should have a line in the footer saying something like 'return to recommended theme for your device' or some such... I'll take a look and see what I can see...

In reply to John St

by Craig Mackey -

Thanks John, I thought so but have no idea how to fix it.

Ta

Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Mary Evans -

Could it be the JS script in general.php, which trigers the 'back to top' arrow, be conflicting with the mobile device?

Just a thought,

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by John St -

Maybe, I haven't figured it out yet but will try this.

In reply to John St

by Craig Mackey -

if it helps i was using an ipad 2 at the time and the decaf menu system doesn't work on that. Is that because Apple doesn't support java? Is there some code that I can put somewhere in the theme to switch it back to the mobile theme?

Craig

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Mary Evans -

No...nothing that  complicated Craig. This is a Moodle thing! smile

All will be made clear...you can always use another theme as your main site theme in the meantime...until Paul gets a fix for this problem. In fact you could run a test for us and see which CORE themes work and allow you access to and from MyMobile on your iPad2 and which themes don't. smile

I think you will find Sky High wont work in this scenario.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Craig Mackey -

No worries, when I get a chance I'll run through the themes on the ipad and let you know how they go.

Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by imketu p -

hi

new mymobile theme is not working in in my moodle development. it gives only white blank screen.

i have tested on my iphone. other normal theme is working on mobile theme selector like normal website or normal theme.

if you can help any thing

In reply to imketu p

by John St -

What version of Moodle? The one in the downloads area will not work in less than 2.1. Otherwise, turn debugging on and let us know... 

In reply to John St

by imketu p -

hi

its moodle 2.1.3

i have installed universite theme and that works on iphone but not this new mymobile.

thanks

In reply to imketu p

by John St -

Well, turn on debugging and/or let us check out the URL. 

In reply to John St

by imketu p -

hello john

After long time testing i have found error that I am using jquery.tools.min.js on front page design for slideshow that cause problem and through error below on iphone safari browser.

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 45 at column 30: AttValue: " or ' expected

Below is a rendering of the page up to the first

and blank white page.

after remove jquery.tools.min.js  from script tag it works. but need that for front page design.

I have turn off 

'Show site topic:theme_mymobile | mtopic' and
'Show full images on site index and course pages.theme_mymobile | mimgs'

from mymobile theme settings as that jscript tag in front page topic section. Still it’s not working with that.

Any solution?

Thanks

In reply to John St

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi guys,

It looks like what's happening is Decaf's custom footer implementation (which allows it to make the performance info fancier) doesn't include the tiny little bit of code that outputs the switch links.  I'm just checking out a fresh copy of Moodle 2.2 to test out the changes on, but I should have a new version up very shortly with this fixed.

Cheers,
Paul

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Mary Evans -

Of course! I had forgotten all about that! Good thinking Batman smile

by Paul Nicholls -

Done - a new version which adds the theme switch links to the footer (where appropriate, as per other themes) is now available in the plugins repository (http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_decaf).  (Now with 2.0 support again - I broke that for a few minutes since I wasn't checking to make sure that the theme_switch_links method existed!)

-Paul

by Craig Mackey -

Thanks Mary & Paul.

I installed & tested it earlier today at work and it seems to work fine - switching to and fro on mobile devices is good. Much happier.

Decaf is a little quirky though, just after install on the first time I tried it on a mates iPhone our moodle site crashed. Our IT guy restarted it without too much fuss and it has stayed up since. Then later I was changing some settings, installing language packs etc. and every now and then all of the blocks on the left hand size seemed to display half width, then when going back to "home" they seemed to reload and display ok. This is a mystery. If it keeps up I'll try to take some screen shots.

Thanks again,

Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Craig Mackey -

I now have a few screen snips of the quirky behaviour. Also there seems to be an issue with the way the course categories are picked up by both the navigation block and the dropdown menus in the awesomebar. Sometimes they show all of the categories, sometimes not. The categories that show in the "courses" branch of the awesomebar menu (under the little sillohuette icon) reflect the categories shown in the navigation block as below.

Is this an error of some sort or built for some reason? Irrespective it does create some confusion in some users when navigating though. The categories in the menus and nav block aren't in the same order as they are in the frontpage list.

See images below:

1. Block Widths about 1/2 size and alternating left and right of the left hand column, immediately after performing "Purge all caches"

2. Blocks return to normal on the next click after going "Home"
    asd

3. All categories not showing in the Navigation Block on the Frontpage, or in some courses 
    asd  adasd

4. Course Categories showing as a complete list in some courses?????

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kevin D -

Hello,

We started testing myMobile and think it's amazing.

The only issue we've found is a a jQuery conflict with courses already using jQuery (slides, zooms, tabs, etc.).  

Do you have advice on how to isolate either the myMobile theme, or the jQuery we're employing in our courses?

Thank you for any advice!

In reply to Kevin D

by John St -

Interesting, hadn't thought of that issue. Is it not loading the course js (which I have found can happen) or is it producing a js error?

Can you give me a link to one of the course mods so that I can download the mod and do some testing?  

In reply to John St

by Kevin D -

John, I'll contact you directly to arrange access.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kimber Warden -

I just downloaded this theme and am really excited to use it! Thanks so much for your work!

I tried testing how to grade a submitted assignment and ran into a couple of things:

I selected an upload assignment from the Course Overview screen and then selected "View 1 submitted assignment." The next screen lists the students in the course, and their grades/comments/etc. for that particular assignment. However, I can't scroll right to see any of the offscreen columns. The table cuts off at the edge of the screen.

I also wasn't able to determine which student's assignment needed to be graded. There's no visual indicator other than the presence of an uploaded file. In my case, the file that needed to be graded was a resubmission that had already been graded once, so there was no way at all to know it was waiting to be regraded.

By collapsing the columns 1 at a time, I was able to get to the column that showed the student's attachment. However, the attachment wasn't clickable. Nothing happened when I touched its title. It was a Microsoft Word document, so maybe this is by design?

Kimber

In reply to Kimber Warden

by Mary Evans -

Hi, Although this theme can be used as a defult on a Laptop it is not recomended, neither is it meant to be used as Admin, it's just not geared up for that.

On the other hand if you think this is a fault ith the theme, better report this as a Moodle Tracker issue.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Nuno Cardoso -

I changed all my themes to theme_moodle2mobile in the Admin options and now i cannot get access to administration menu. when i click nothing happens.

How can i undo this changes?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachment Captura de ecrã 2013-08-14, às 11.43.07.jpg
In reply to Nuno Cardoso

mY Mobile in desktop

by Nuno Cardoso -

Ok, Problem solved. What i did?

http://mymoodlesite/theme/index.php

and i was able to get access to theme selection options. Back to previous theme. Everything fine now. Thanks