Possible to copy a set of test questions, not test bank questions?

Possible to copy a set of test questions, not test bank questions?

by David Nash -
Number of replies: 6

Using 1.9.3+

Hi,

I have a situation that, if possible will save hours of work?

I have a test containing 100 questions that is pulling questions from 5 different Test banks.

However, I have to create another test for a different group of people, but the test is the same apart from removing 4 questions and adding four different questions.

I was trying to see if it was possible to export the 100 questions, and import them as a new test and then simply remove the 4 questions not required and then add the 4 new questions.

It seems that I can only export Test banks and not tests themesleves.

Is this correct

Otherwise I have to manually add each question again for the new test?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Nash

Re: Possible to copy a set of test questions, not test bank questions?

by Adriane Boyd -

You can use backup/restore to make a copy of a quiz in another course.  At certain points in the backup/restore process you can choose just to backup a particular quiz and uncheck everything else to leave out any user data (like existing attempts or user files).  Download the backup file to your computer and go to the new course.  Click on "Restore" in the new course, upload the saved backup file, and then click "Restore" in the list of actions next to it.  On the second page of the restore process, choose "Current course, adding to it" in the first menu to add the quiz to this course.

I think restore will put the quiz in the same section/week it was in the original course, so you may have to move it around to get it where you want, but backup/restore should preserve all the information you need for the quiz and you can then make the minor changes that you need in the new course.

-Adriane

In reply to Adriane Boyd

by Ro Eng -

Adriane, doesn't your solution also bring the questions in the databank as well?  We do the restore part and we end up with 'extra' questions in the databank, basically duplicates etc.  Am I missing something?

In reply to Ro Eng

by Adriane Boyd -

Yes, this method will create duplicate questions in the new course.  Backup/restore is set up to be able restore things from scratch in courses with separate question banks, so it always copies the question bank along with the quizzes.  I don't think the restore process does any duplicate checking on the question level.

This is certainly a drawback if you're working with courses with shared question banks, but I don't know of another way to do what David is asking.

In reply to Adriane Boyd

by David Nash -

I have tried it to see what the back up does and it does pull everything.

Why does it goes through the steps of letting you untick backing up the Test banks and all other tests in the course and then goes ahead and backs them up anyway?

I unticked everything except for the test I wanted to duplicate but when I checked the xml file it backed up over 400 questions for tall the test banks.

I know that if I restore it will will then duplicate all the questions.

What would be a nice feature is the function you get in the Evaluations/Questionaire that when you create a new Questionnaire you can base it on an existing template or Questionnaire already in the Course. You then simply edit it afterwards.

When you create a New Test, it would be good to have that option to tick an existing test in the course and use as the template for the new one.

In reply to David Nash

by Adriane Boyd -

Yes, it's not an unreasonable feature request at all, it's just not possible in 1.9.  This looks relevant (and the timing makes it look like the reporter read this thread and thought the same thing): MDL-28258.  So, it sounds like this is possible in 2.1, but I haven't tried anything out myself.

In reply to Adriane Boyd

by David Nash -

thanks for the response. I havent switched to 2.0 or 2.1 as I had alot of issues upgrading from 1.9.3+ to 2.0. Alot of errors and database errors.

I run two identical setups, one is live the other is on a separate server as a backup. Once a week I export the SQL databse and replace the backup information to keep it up to date.

I set up a third example and then tried upgradign to 2.0 but it fell apart with erros and database problems which was too much work to spend time on.

Having to recreate the themes and then find any manualy tweeked code would be time consuming.