Implement consistent popup dialogs for Moodle - use consistent XHTML, CSS and images

Implement consistent popup dialogs for Moodle - use consistent XHTML, CSS and images

by Urs Hunkler -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers

I just created the Moodle Tracker entry MDL-28198.

I tried to get the Moodle popup dialogs looking consistent. After spending a lot of work into the filepicker, quiz and help dialogs I arrived at the enrolment dialogs - and went nuts.

I get the impression that each Moodle popup is build different - different XHTML structure, different CSS, different images sad

Usability of the dialogs is similar inconsistent. For example some dialogs have "Cancle" buttons, some must be closed clicking on the "x"-close-button.

There are 5 enrolment dialogs - each is different. From the dialogs I had worked on I got the impression that they more or less use YUI Overlay structure and CSS. From the enrolment dialogs the "quickcohortenrolment" dialog is the only one basing on Overlay. The others are build different.

Please refactor ALL dialogs to offer a consistent interface (look and feel, buttons etc.) and use consistent XHTML, CSS and images.

Please, everybody interested in Moodle Usability and Look vote on the tracker issue - I hope somebody will investigate then.

I cross-post this topic here and in the "General developer forum" because I think this is an issue for developers and designers and not many read both forums.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: Implement consistent popup dialogs for Moodle - use consistent XHTML, CSS and images

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Urs

Point me in the right direction and I could probably do this...if it is within a theme context and not involving changing Moodle core system files. But with the right help I could perhaps do this too.

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Implement consistent popup dialogs for Moodle - use consistent XHTML, CSS and images

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

The inconsistency is created in code. So the first step might be to make the used popup dialogs XHTML and CSS hooks consistent in the JavaScript code - everywhere in Moodle.

And create the CSS for the dialogs in one central CSS file. Looking at Moodle code shows that there is no consistent use of dialogs and each dialog seams to have it's own CSS.

In short - we have a mess and it will be a lot of work to correct it.

Probably the next step must be a discussion if Moodle should have consistent dialogs which are easy to style. At the moment nobody seams to care - neither the developers nor the users. And if nobody cares there is no need to change anything.