what is the best repository to use for moodle 1.9

by Murad Jamal -
Number of replies: 8

Hi .. I have found a list of many repositories:

Odalis
alfresco
Dspace
HarvestRoad Hive

and maybe Joomla but i'm not sure about it.

what is the best one among there to use with moodle 1.9 ? and do you encourage to use Alfresco ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Murad Jamal

Re: what is the best repository to use for moodle 1.9

by christian lukaschik -

We have successfully implemented our extension for alfresco for numerous schools and universities. It is fully integrated in moodle and offers additional features compared to the ones you mentioned (such as a rendering service for audio, video and qti-compliant tests). Check out our project page at www.edu-sharing.net . If you have a few more days I suggest to wait for the new version which is to be released by the end of july.

In reply to christian lukaschik

by Murad Jamal -

thank you Christian for your kind response, ok, do you know how much alfresco cost for a university with 20,000 users ?

In reply to Murad Jamal

by christian lukaschik -

You are welcome. Alfresco is Open Source so basically the software itself will cost you nothing. All you need is people to run it and make the changes and configurations you might need.

by Murad Jamal -

thank you very much for this valuable information .

In reply to Murad Jamal

by Murad Jamal -

Christian, by the way, how to use Alfresco  within Moodle 1.9 in general? is it a block ? or a new type of activity or resource ? and which one of these Alfresco community packages should I download to make alfresco a repository for Moodle documents?

In reply to Murad Jamal

by christian lukaschik -

If you are going with moodle 1.9 there is no native repository API.  So hooking up an out of the box alfresco might be a pain. If you are using the edu-sharing repository you will be able an integrated alfresco dms with your moodle 1.9 without much trouble. It will be integrated via 3 blocks (upload sth, workspace (thats where you manage your files) and search (find files you have the corresponding permissions for). In the course itself you can access the content of your repository via the "add a ressource" dialogue.  edu-sharing currently uses the Alfresco Labs 3 Final. We will upgrade the extension to alfresco 3.4 in the next but one release in fall.

by Murad Jamal -

edu-sharing ... is it free to use ? and easy to install or not ? and how it will include Alfresco when I install it ?

In reply to Murad Jamal

by christian lukaschik -

Hi, it is open source and pretty easy to install. We are in the process of writing a better install guide. I'll let you know when it's ready (prob. by friday).