Category role sets limits for Course role

Category role sets limits for Course role

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I want to create a role that allows administrative employees to observe all courses in a category, but with very limited permissions in the courses.

In the same time, those persons might also be teachers in some courses and have be assigned the Teacher role on those courses.

I made a copy of the Manager role, turned down almost all permissions on it and named it Observer. I assigned the role to a user on Category level.

That works fine, the user can "look in" on all the courses under that category level. BUT: In those courses where the user also was assigned the Teacher role, the user still could not edit the course activities.

So, the role assigned on Category level seems to also set the limits for what a user can do on a course level, even if the user is assigned a "higher" role there. Is that correct, or have I done something wrong? And, if that is correct, is there a workaround for me to get what I want?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Category role sets limits for Course role

by ben reynolds -

Hi Peter,

I would worry that users will forget where they can edit and where they can't.

Wouldn't it be easier to make a user called Observer and give that user the Observer role? Then, let anyone user Observer's login. That way, you always know whether you are a teacher or the Observer.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Peter Diedrichs -

Hi Ben, our university rules requires personal login and the control that a unique username brings, especially for a role that can "access all areas".

In reply to Peter Diedrichs

by Alejo Becerra Diaz -

Hi, Peter.

When you "turned down almost all permissions", did you "prevent" or "prohibit" them? If you "prohibit" them, try to change to "prevent" them and test again.

Hope this helps.

Greetings.

In reply to Alejo Becerra Diaz

by Peter Diedrichs -

YES! That did it! I didn't think of that... now I know the difference between "prevent" and "prohibit" in the permissions settings ;)

Thanks, Alejo!