Video tutorials repository

Video tutorials repository

by Julien Quester-Semeon -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I am very new to Moodle. I am working on a course designed the following way:

• Main courses with e-learning, quiz, etc ... that looks like any other course.
  • Video tutorial repository. In this repository, there are almost 100 video tutorials in mp4/swf/fflv format.
So far, what I have done is to upload the video tutorials as part of the course.
However, since each tutorial can be used in different courses, the best solution would be to upload the videos to some repository and to include a link to the videos, from the course.
Could you please explain me/point me to the doc so that I can perform this?
Thanks a lot.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julien Quester-Semeon

Re: Video tutorials repository

by Dominique-Alain Jan -
Picture of Testers

Hello Julien,

Welcome to Moodle.

Could you tell me which version of Moodle you are using. My answer will be different wether you are on 1.9 or 2.0

Regards,

-dajan

In reply to Dominique-Alain Jan

by Julien Quester-Semeon -

Hi,

It is 2.0.

So far I've gone the quick&dirty way: created a course and added the videos in it smile But am pretty sure that there are more adapted ways to do it (maybe some plugin).

Thanks a lot!

In reply to Julien Quester-Semeon

by Dominique-Alain Jan -
Picture of Testers

Hi again Julien,

Because you are using 2.0 (suggest you upgrade to 2.1 at some point) and you want to that

“each tutorial can be used in different courses,...”

effectively

the best solution would be to upload the videos to some repository

On Moodle 2.0, I would suggest either you upload all your videos in your personal files folders or use an external repository. To do that, you have to add a block but you must check before you can use private files in the files picker.

Verify you can use private files in the picker :

1. Go to Site Administration->Plugins->Repositories->Manage Repositories
  2. Verify Private files is enabled and visible, if not make it so

Add a block to manage the private files

1. Choose Turn Editing On
  2. In the right page margin, in the "Add a block" block, choose "My Private Files" block
  3. Choose Turn Editing Off

Now you can manage your files/folders/sub-folders and store all your videos there. Having this block in the courses you want, you can access your private files area content from the file picker. So you have store your file once but can use it in many courses.

Otherwise you could store your files on another external repository (e.g. Dropbox, webdav,..) and choose the file in your different courses from the repositories list in the file picker.

If you files are big, don't forget that before students be able to see them, they would have to be downloaded on their hard disk first, which may take some time. You could then think about storing them on Youtube, to take advantage of the streaming features that avoid the download before watching drawback, but you will lose ownership of the data which will maybe raise copyright infringement issues.

Hope this help

Regards,

-dajan