Fill in the Blank questions with more than one blank

Fill in the Blank questions with more than one blank

by Susan Patterson -
Number of replies: 9

I am trying to build Fill in the Blank questions with more than one blank.  How do I code it so that the same answer cannot be used in both blanks?

(ie, The two main divisions of the fire department are ___ and ___.)

Currently I have both right answers coded for both blanks but if they type in the same answer for both then they will still get full marks. Is there a way to make sure that the student does not enter the same answer in both blanks?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Patterson

Re: Fill in the Blank questions with more than one blank

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The only way to do this sort of quetsion is to make a new question type. It is a type of question I would like to see, but I have never had time to make it.

by Itamar Tzadok -

Until the question type is written you can (where feasible) put the blanks in alphabethical order (ie, The two main divisions of the fire department are fire fighting and rescue.). smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by John Rodgers -

Would the cloze question type work for you?

In reply to John Rodgers

by Itamar Tzadok -

Not without my suggested workaround. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Susan Patterson -

Thank you Tim and Itamar. 

Unfortunately alphabetical will not work in some of the instances (answers are too long and too similar) especially where there are 8 correct answers and they only have to name 4 or 5.

And, the Ontario Fire College has laid out the text and quizzes and I am not allowed to alter the questions.

I'll have to keep working on an answer.

Would be great if there was a "no duplicates" option. wink

by Itamar Tzadok -

If javascript is an option (accessibility etc.) it is possible to construct a simple solution on top of the cloze type question. Such a solution can use the shortanswer fields and a list box with the options, such that selecting an option from the list box for a certain answer field, removes the option from the list box and so that option cannot be reused in another answer field unless it is moved from the answer field back to the list box. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Itamar,

Does this mean that you are planning to offer that "simple Javascript solution" any time soon? wink

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Itamar Tzadok -

I do not want to impose anything on anyone so only upon explicit request. big grin

In reply to John Rodgers

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@John : I expect that by "fill in the blanks" the OP had in mind the Cloze question type. What else?

@all : This "no duplicates" feature for the Cloze question type in moodle has been asked for a few times already, and there are a number of cases where it would indeed be quite useful.

Joseph