How to Export Quiz

How to Export Quiz

by Sir Leo -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

I'd like to know if is possible export the content of quiz to some format?

Thanks,

Leo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sir Leo

Re: How to Export Quiz

by Swisstac Bravin -

yes you can export quiz goto question bank->export

below are the format in which you can export

questions to fileExport questions to file

File format
In reply to Swisstac Bravin

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Please note that in moodle you do not export quizzes, you export questions (by category).

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Pascal Maury -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Joseph !

Is this still true ? It seems easy to add it as an option, no ?

Is there a specific reason for that ?

Thanks !
In reply to Pascal Maury

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You do not "export" a quiz the way you "export" questions. But of course you can backup and restore a quiz.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Cris Fuhrman -

Hi Joseph,

I hope you are enjoying your holiday break.

How does one backup and restore only a quiz? When I looked at backup/restore, it seems it is for the entire course.

Use case: I want to have the same configuration of a quiz from another course. Quizzes have many options that affect their behavior. I want to copy the settings of a quiz from a different course to a quiz in the new course. 

Importing all the quizzes from my other course is not ideal (I have 20 quizzes from the other course, and the question bank is not the same). I merely want to capture the complex configuration options.

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You can just use the import feature (or backup and restore) and just select the quiz that you want.  You can backup and restore just one quiz - you just deselect everything and then select your single quiz.

FYI - there is a great little plugin called sharing cart that allows you to copy single quizzes/activities/resources from one course to another very easily!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Cris Fuhrman -

Hi Emma and thanks for the reply.

I played around with import/export. The question bank must be selected for export, else no quizzes can be exported. I'm assuming that importing one quiz means I also must import the question bank. That is, quizzes and questions seem to be coupled tightly. 

I'm really only wanting to export/import the quiz settings (which took me a long time to perfect, given the rich number of options).  For now, I'm just going to open the settings on the quiz from one course and go through manually and make sure I've configured it the same, tedious but much less time than playing with import/export.

Thanks for the pointer to Sharing Cart. That will definitely be useful to me on other things.

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If it is just the settings, you could at least set them as the default quiz settings in Admin settings.  That would save you some time at least.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Cris Fuhrman -

Thanks. I will ask my administrator. We are now more than 50 people using Moodle and I'm not sure all will agree with my favorite quiz settings. 

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Chris,

I hate to retype and select all those settings for the quiz too, so I make a template for reuse. You make ONE quiz with ALL of your desired settings, but with NO questions added. Name it Template, then hide it. As the teacher you will still be able to see it. When you want to make your new test, duplicate the template, rename the copy, and add your questions.

HTH,

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Cris Fuhrman -

Hi Al,

That's helpful, and is what I already do. The problem is when you want to copy that template to another course without exporting the entire question bank. I don't think it's possible (maybe with the Sharing Cart plug-in?).

Cheers,

Cris

In reply to Cris Fuhrman

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Chris,

You are exactly right. The sharing cart is what I use to move almost anything from one course to another. Works great. In fact, I have a hidden Template course where I place samples of any activity I use, with all the settings I normally use, already set. I generally name them in such a way as to tell me what I have the template set for. For instance, for an online text assignment, the name might be, Template - online text with PoodLL feedback - scale scoring - two attempts, or Template - 10 question random quiz - unlimited attempts. I keep a copy of my most used items in a folder in the sharing cart so they are just a couple of clicks away, in any course where I might need them.

I used to keep copies in a hidden topic section, but switched to a hidden course when I realized I had too many items duplicated in various courses.

As for the question bank, I have only one and share it between all my courses so that I have only ONE copy of each question to maintain. Since I teach computer applications, this saves me a lot of updating when a program changes it's look and capabilities as many of my questions are used in different courses.

Cheers,

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (2)