Feature request -- default navigation, defaults in general

Feature request -- default navigation, defaults in general

per Matt Fedorko,
Number of replies: 5

I'm not sure if this is the place for feature requests, but I wanted to suggest two features for the Lesson module.

1.) I have found that I want all of my Lessons in a single course (or all of my courses, actually) to behave in the same fashion, and that it's a bit annoying to have to make sure that each Lesson has the same checks and YESs and Nos. I would rather go to one place that governs how all of the Lessons in that course operate. If you want to change one particular Lesson, then the settings in that individual Lesson could take precedence over the course level settings.

2.) Related to that, it seems like it would not be hard to create defaults for the Navigation. I've found that 95% of the time I want simple "Previous" and "Next" buttons for my Lesson pages (with just the "Next" on the first page). It seems like it would be nice to have a set of options in the Lesson settings for the text and relative pointers for those navigation buttons (So you could make yours all say "Retreat!" and "Onward!" if you want.) Then, when you're adding each page in turn, it would give you the same options as it does now, just with a checkbox that says "Use defaults" that you would uncheck before adding your own boxes, or adding other branches or whatever. Or it automatically knows that when you put text in those boxes, the defaults are not used...

Anyway, just my two cents. If there's another place for feature requests, I'll put this there, instead.

Average of ratings  -
In reply to Matt Fedorko

Re: Feature request -- default navigation, defaults in general

per Tim Hunt,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers

Note that Moodle 2.1 has the feature that you can duplicate any activity. So you can make a 'Template lesson' with the basic settings you want, hide it from students, and then keep copying it.

In reply to Tim Hunt

per Matt Fedorko,

I did not know that! We're on 2.0.3...which seems to be the most up to date version you can download here. You say "has," indicating it exists somewhere! Is this a development build?

I do like the sound of that feature, though it has that standard "built-in-workaround" flavor that I've learned to expect from Moodle. Only for the usage I'm talking about here, though. There have been plenty of other cases where I've wanted to duplicate an activity (a long lesson that you want to split into two, for instance) that will now be easier...in 2.1, apparently!

Thanks for your response, Tim.

In reply to Matt Fedorko

per Tim Hunt,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Peer reviewers Avatar Plugin developers

Moodle 2.1 has been in beta testing for some weeks now. With a fair wind, it should be released tomorrow.