Giving personalized feedback on quizzes?

Giving personalized feedback on quizzes?

by N Hansen -
Number of replies: 5
I've been examining the quiz module. It looks quite useful to me as it would save me time correcting simple short answer questions. I could simply review each student's attempt and see automatically what answers are right and wrong.

However, it lacks one important feature-the ability to give personalized feedback by the teacher on a particular quiz. I would like to be able to review a student's quiz, and then be able to suggest strategies to improve their performance based on their patterns of errors. As is, there seems to be no way to add such feedback. Is this something that there are plans for? If not, would others find it a useful option? Otherwise, what work-around would you suggest for this in the absence of such a feature? Instant messaging or some other similar method?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to N Hansen

Re: Giving personalized feedback on quizzes?

by Dennis Daniels -
I couldn't agree with you more;feedback is where it's at. Often, while reviewing short answer quizzes I find the wrong answers more interesting than the right answers...

In the detailed view of the quiz data you can see what students have written. I often open the quiz/question editor and then edit the questions that have the most errors.

It has been briefly discussed having an edit question button in the detailed view of the quiz as well as giving the teacher the ability to add a good answer to the list of possible correct answers.

The real value in the quizzes is the feedback IMHO... you can add more feedback to the moodle questions but it's a bit cumbersome. It can be done and I can say that most of my students find the feedback very helpful...

let us know how you work more feedback into your quizzes!

best
Dennis
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by N Hansen -
I decided to submit this as a feature request-it's bug 2462.
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Francisca Wentworth -

I have quizzes in my course that require free responses such as writing a sentence with a vocabulary word. Although there is a place to mark the answer and give feedback on the response, students don't see this. I used to spend a lot of time giving specific feedback on each question until I realized this. Why have this option available when students can't see it. Seems pointless.   Quizzes have the option for essay responses, but if students can't see the teacher corrections, it is not a valuable activity. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Francisca

In reply to Francisca Wentworth

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

They should be able to see the feedback.  Are you sure that your feedback settings are correct?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Francisca Wentworth

by Barbara Taylor -

Emma is correct.  Edit your quiz -> expand the Review options -> check the Specific feedback, general feedback and Overall feedback options depending on where you put the feedback under the column of when you want them to see the feedback (probably the last one "after the quiz closes") -> click on the Save and display button

Barbara