This applies only to people who are using 1.5 development.
For "look to the future" reasons, it was required that I change the value of the define() MOODLE_PAGE_COURSE. Actually I dropped that altogether and inserted a new constant MOODLE_COURSE_VIEW, but that's not the point.
The point is that since the constant changed, and since mdl_block_instance was populated with the old value, course pages should report about 1024 errors each and not display any blocks (if they display at all). Now do not panic, there should be an update query somewhere and indeed there is.
The only problem is that I couldn't reliably host the update in lib/db/, because it might happen that you are not logged in when you do the CVS update. You would then be unable to display the site index, and I didn't want to cause anyone undue distress.
So the update resides in a really ugly hack in pagelib.php, which will of course be removed before 1.5 final is released. So:
- If you have a 1.5 dev install, upgrade soon.
- If you have any course backups made with 1.5 dev, update your installation. Then restore them into a new course and backup them again. Otherwise, when 1.5 final comes out, it won't be able to restore them!
If anyone fails to do this, they can always run an SQL query later to fix everything manually:
UPDATE mdl_block_instance SET pagetype = 'course-view' WHERE pagetype = 'course'
Hopefully this won't result in me getting anonymous threatening phone calls at night!