Sum of Grades Does Not Show Percentage

Sum of Grades Does Not Show Percentage

by Erica Vail -
Number of replies: 1

I have a question about the "sum of grades" aggregation method.  The final grade shows as the amount of points earned out of the total possible points.  The problem is that not all students need to complete all assignments, so the total possible points for my students varies.  What I would like the grade book to do is divide the possible poins out of what they have done so far by the points that they have earned.  For example, if a student earns 300 points out of 350 points, 300 is divided by 350 to get their grade of 85%.  Even when I check the box that gives the option not to factor in the grade items that are not get scored, the system gives the students a grade based off of how many points they have earned out of the total possible points for the course.  The system does not divide to get a percentage.  This is very confusing to the students.  Is there a way that this can be fixed so that it makes more sense?  Any help is appreciated!

In reply to Erica Vail

Re: Sum of Grades Does Not Show Percentage

by Erica Vail -

Since I made my initial post, I have learned a few things about the "sum of grades" aggregation method.  I thought I'd share in case anyone else has had the same questions that I posed.  The faculty grade book shows point totals only.  However, the student grade book shows a percentage.  The bad thing about this aggregation method, though, is that it does not make it possible to ignore empty grades.  An empty grade is counted as a zero.  Therefore, the final grade is not really accurate until the end of the course when all of the grade items have been completed.  It makes it impossible to divide the course up into groups and have different assignments for each group because students who are not required to do an assignment will receive a zero for it.  This is the downfall of this method of grading.