Converting cmi interactions to something more meaningful

Converting cmi interactions to something more meaningful

by Ian Wild -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

I've just been playing around with including Captivate quizzes in a course via SCORM and everything works as expected... but... mixed

... is there any way of converting the "cmi.interactions" into anything more readable? I appreciate all the data is there but it isn't very easy for a non-technical person to understand (see below).

Apologies if there is an obvious way of doing it but I couldn't find anything in the Moodle docs or in these forums.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Wild

Re: Converting cmi interactions to something more meaningful

by Amy Groshek -
Hi Ian,

You might want to see Dan's response in this thread:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=178063

Regards,
Amy
In reply to Amy Groshek

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Amy,

If you're interested in seeing the progress on this check out MDL-27256 - I'm hoping that one of the reports that will be created as part of the GSOC project will be one that displays the interactions nicely.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Ian Wild -

Thanks Amy and Dan for your responses. It would be great if we could display these interactions in a form that's a bit more, erm... 'human-readable' smile.

At least in the UK, a lot of work-based learning resources for new starters, for instance, are being produced in Captivate and line managers need to be able to see at a glance how their staff have been getting on taking their Captivate quizzes. I've visited two firms in the past couple of weeks who have had this requirement.

Thanks again,

Ian.

In reply to Ian Wild

by Under Dog -

Hey Ian,

We have the same concern and requirement, although we use a different course authoring tool.

I am hoping somebody develops something for Moodle 2.0.

Cheers,

Dave

In reply to Ian Wild

by Amy Groshek -
If they just want "at a glance," then isn't the Moodle gradebook the way to go?
In reply to Ian Wild

by Charlie Williams -

Hi,

We run 1.9 and now use Captivate (and others) a reasonable amount.  I got fed up with the fact that the first SCORM report orders the list of users and scores by the user ID number (so as an admin user my scores always came at the top!).  And then there's the lovely cmi interaction stuff in the Track Details report.

Anyway, it's not perfect, but I did some quick modifications to the report so it displays attempts by time and date and gets rid of the cmi interactions and the lovely term "latency".

The reports look like the ones attached.

Here's a copy of the modded file (don't think it's properly commented at all as it was a quick and dirty fix).  And for that reason, keep a copy of the original report file if you do use it.Modded scorm report

Hope it's of some use.

Cheers

In reply to Charlie Williams

by Charlie Williams -

Hi,

Here's a link to the report.php file with modifications.  I tried attaching it to the previous post but for some reason it failed and I didn't realise.  The file is in a zip and can be downloaded from www.parapal-online.co.uk/learning/reports.zip.

Hope it's useful.

Cheers

In reply to Charlie Williams

by Ian Wild -

Thanks Charlie. That looks like just the thing we are after. I'll speak to my colleagues about this mod now.

Kind regards,

Ian.