Restore a new course from a back up zip and the activities and resources are empty

Restore a new course from a back up zip and the activities and resources are empty

by Rob P -
Number of replies: 4

I'm using version 1.9 and I tried to make a copy of a course currently in use by backing it up and then restoring from the zip to create a new course. But when I opened the new course all of the activities and resources in the course have no names and all of the blocks on either side of the page are gone.

When I try to click on any of the resources and activities I get the error: "Course Module ID was incorrect" and when I try to edit them I get the error: "The required instance of this module doesn't exist".

I checked the course files and they are all there in the new course and the titles for each week are still present and able to be edited.

I can re-create all of the activities and resources one-by-one but that will be incredibly time consuming. Does anyone know why this has happened?

Thanks,

Rob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob P

Re: Restore a new course from a back up zip and the activities and resources are empty

by ben reynolds -

Hi Rob,

It isn't often that a question gets left alone this long. Things to check:

1. Server space. Do you have any?
  2. Make a second backup using exactly the same settings and compare file size.
  3. There's a third item that I won't remember until after I post this.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ben reynolds

Re: Restore a new course from a back up zip and the activities and resources are empty

by Rob P -

I'm pretty sure I have plenty of server space so I'm sure that is not the issue. I made a new backup zip from the original course and it was slightly larger by a few kb (probably just because things have been added to the course page since the previous backup). I've deleted the previous attempted restore and I've tried this again with the new back up. Same issue.

I noticed the page which shows up after the restore doesn't have any information saying the restore was completed. The last thing on the list is "Creating course modules" and there is no form of continue button. Is this where it's suposed to finish or has it stopped before it has finished?

In reply to Rob P

by Jarrod Bell -

I've found the same problem trying to move courses from a mac server running 1.8.2 to a win server running 1.9.12. I'm trying to transition to 2.1 eventually. The old mac server is not something I want to try upgrading as it is having some issues. I've read in other forums that it may be a unicode issue where the two databases have different encoding. I'm still looking around.

In reply to Rob P

by Rob P -

I found a way around the problem by not including user data in the backup and restore. The backup zip file size fell below a gigabyte aswell, maybe there was a space issue. Thanks for the help.