Newbie with glossary problem

Newbie with glossary problem

de Curtis Card -
Number of replies: 4

I've just recently started working with Moodle and have been attempting to use the glossary that is bundled with the installation, but I have not figured out how to use this glossary.  Every time I go to the glossary module it always wants to make a new glossary.  I've checked the Moodle directory structure and there is a glossary.xml file, but I don't know how to make use of it.

Thanks.  This appears to be a great product.

Promeyo de puntuacions: -
In reply to Curtis Card

Re: Newbie with glossary problem

de Helen Foster -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Moodle HQ Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers Imachen de Testers Imachen de Translators
Hi,

Please could you explain what you mean by:
"Every time I go to the glossary module it always wants to make a new glossary."

To use the glossary you need to start by selecting it from the 'Add an activity...' drop-down menu then complete the 'Adding a new Glossary' form. You will then be able to add glossary entries.
In reply to Helen Foster

de Curtis Card -

Thanks.

When I went to the 'Add an activity...' drop-down menu, I could only create a new Glossary to which I could (had to) add entries.  In the Moodle distribution, there are already two glossaries, A glossary of common terms and Teacher-Defined Glossary.  Both of these already contain terms and I wanted to include them without having to re-enter them.  Each has it's own glossary.xml file.

Since my initial post, I have resolved this issue.

In reply to Curtis Card

de Alex Walker -
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get this to work?  I can't see how to get to use the distributed glossaries either...
In reply to Alex Walker

de Helen Foster -
Imachen de Core developers Imachen de Documentation writers Imachen de Moodle HQ Imachen de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imachen de Plugin developers Imachen de Testers Imachen de Translators
Once you've created a glossary, as well as having the option to 'Add a new entry', you may also 'Import entries'. This involves browsing for a glossary.xml file.