Is there any way to use geogebra in Moodle 2.0

Is there any way to use geogebra in Moodle 2.0

by Steffen Fahl -
Number of replies: 16

I have installed Moodle 2.0 for our school. My colleagues like to use geogebra, so it would be great if I could let them use it in Moodle to.

I have searched the forum and plugins but all I can find to use geogebra in Moodle seems to be related to Moodle 1.9. Does anyone know if and how it is possible to make use of geogebra in Moodle 2.0 ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steffen Fahl

Re: Is there any way to use geogebra in Moodle 2.0

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

A moodle geogebra filter for Moodle 2.0 is currently in development by Christoph Reinisch see this page where you can find a link to download the latest build (not finished but already usable).

With this filter it is very easy to embed a geogebra applet and load a .ggb worksheet uploaded to your moodle website in a page, a forum post, ...

If you or your colleagues have some trouble using it, post to this forum and I will be happy to help as I am currently doing a lot of work on Moodle and Geogebra.

Be warned that some functionnalities don't work in the version you can download now (for instance some options)

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I understand that Mauno is working on integrating several math tools into Moodle 2.0 and that geogebra is one of them... but I may be mistaken as to how far that integration is going to go or which tools are being integrated. Hopefully, he will be successful and math teachers all over the world will have a much better experience with Moodle..

In reply to Steffen Fahl

by Christoph Stadlbauer -
Although the update on the filter is almost done, please be aware that the recommended way to embed ggb in Moodle is "Export: Dynamic worksheet - Advanced - Clipboard: Moodle" and pasting the generated HTML in Moodle (RTE-HTML) - which works both with Moodle 1.9 and 2.0 and saves you from the hassle of setting all the parameters needed by the applet in Moodle. The only Problem is that you don't see anything in the RTE which can be a little irritating. Christoph
In reply to Christoph Stadlbauer

by John Rodgers -

Just adding my note to indicate there are more interested parties out there, as well as indicating my gratitude for pointing out the "Advanced" tab included this paste feature.

I had been using a workaround to have the applet display a secret word when an approriate condition had been acheived (plotting points for example). Interaction with a moodle question type would be a most welcome addition.

Here is a sample question sequence using Geogebra if this provides any edification.

In reply to John Rodgers

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

I am in fact begining my work to wrote a geogebra question type.

But don't hold your breath, it's just the begining.

I am currently just writting a text to decribe my thinking and request comments from other Moodle users.

As soon as this text is online I will post here.

In the meantime, thanks a lot for your exercise. It's just what I need now.

If others have examples of geogebra exercises (unfortunately some exercises are too complex to hope a computer can grade them !! so for this ones we will still have to use the essay question with a .ggb file attached) please can you share with me ?

Some precisions about the future question type

It will be for Moodle versions >= 2.1 (sorry I DID wrote questions for Moodle quiz versions before 2.1 so I DO know the difference and I will not backport it myself !!)

The student display will be just the applet and the standard(s) button(s) no text field, no typing, the student is asked by the question text to do something in the applet and it's the objects that he modified or created that are graded.

The difficult part (and the real challenge) is to design a good GUI for the question creation !!

In reply to John Rodgers

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello,

your method is very interesting.

Your exercise was a little hader for me than because I hadn't your "function machine" but I managed to get it correct big grin

Of course the fact you must allow for some tolerance in points positions make your if statements rather longs

The even more intresting point for me is that I hadn't envisaged this type of use with the applet. I think it fit in my current thinking but I need to check.

In my current GUI (still very unclear I could't even draw a mockup now) you have the applet where the teacher is required to solve his own problem (I think we can require he is able to don't we big grin) then you have menus where he choose objects from the applet (or any if the object is not required to have a definite name) and properties (like xcoord, command, type, value, definition, ...) and text field for the required "answer" for this property.

But maybe the developpment will prove I am completely wrong and a better solution will emerge

by John Rodgers -

I think it may be a little awkward for sure (not having the swf aside) and the "secret word" system is inelegant, but the exercise type opens up a substantial field of acitvities that were difficult to assess before (plotting key points etc) without significant manual grading.  I have noticed geogebra may be quite a bit more powerful than I had anticipated with its ability to exploit javascript etc.

I had envisaged the question type a little differently, with Geogebra identifying when the correct state had been obtained (or assessing the correctness of the state) and then filling in the hidden field with javascript.

Hello,

I'm glad to hear that there are some more people out there working on the same topic then I will from the 1st of August here in Linz (and Sara is already in Barcelona as you can see from the page where you found the current version of the filter).

My first aproach of the problem was that we could use the construction protocol, check which steps are interchangeable, make permutations of the free objects and check if we get the same dependent objects as in the solution given by the teacher.

I think let the teacher do the construction is somewhat similar to the use of the construction protocol.

But if we take a look at the custom tools - we have exactly what we want: input and output objects. One approach could be to let the teacher create somewhat a custom tool that corresponds to the problem which should be solved by the student. In the background we then apply the "custom tool" (which isn't a custom tool anymore) to all the free objects (+permutations) and check if we get the same objects the student created.

The other possibility would be an exact match with the solution, which would be applicable to the exercise with the inverse function. (with exact I don't mean that there should be no tolerance to point positions, but A and A_inv have to be in the correct place with the correct name - in the idea with custom tools naming isn't important, not even positions)

by Ulrike Montgomery -

Hello Christoph,

We have asked our tech support to install Geogebra for our Moodle 2.0.3. We downloaded it from https://github.com/cmiic/moodle-filter_geogebra
Unfortunately we get the following error message:

"Plugin "filter_moodle-filter_geogebra" is defective or outdated"

Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Ulrike

In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Ulrike,

the name of this filter is geogebra and files of the filter (like version.php and filter.php) should be inside folder filter/geogebra/

So you should most likely rename folder filter_moodle-filter_geogebra to geogebra...

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Ulrike Montgomery -
Thanks a lot, Mauno, I'll give it another try.
In reply to Ulrike Montgomery

Hello Ulrike,

Just back from holiday, I'd love to hear if it worked out for you.

Thanks for your feedback,
Christoph

by Ulrike Montgomery -

Hello Christoph,

It works fine now - no problems.

Thanks for upgrading for Moodle2.0 and greetings from Germany,

Ulrike

In reply to John Rodgers

by John Rodgers -

Oops.  Here is the swf to accompany the exercise.

In reply to John Rodgers

by Steffen Bachmann -

Hallo, i installed the Geogebra-filter and just have the effect, that the geogebra-file will not be "played". Instead i get an embedded geogebra program window.

Please have a look here. There is a detailed description of this effect.

Is there any solution?

Thanks

Steffen