Glossary does not show Arabic content

Glossary does not show Arabic content

Nadia Yassine -
Number of replies: 1

I am new to Moodle, and I hope someone can help me resolve this problem. I have installed Moodle 2.0.2. I am trying to create an online course to teach the Arabic language for English speakers. I created a glossary and entered the word Hello in the concept field. I then entered the arabic meaning of it 'مرحبا' in the defnition field.

I received the following error message:

Debug info: Incorrect string value: '\xD9\x85\xD8\xB1\xD8\xAD...' for column 'definition' at row 1
UPDATE mdl_glossary_entries SET concept = ?,glossaryid = ?,timecreated = ?,userid = ?,sourceglossaryid = ?,teacherentry = ?,definition = ?,definitionformat = ?,definitiontrust = ?,timemodified = ?,approved = ?,usedynalink = ?,casesensitive = ?,fullmatch = ?,attachment = ? WHERE id=?
[array (
0 => 'Hello',
1 => '1',
2 => 1309087897,
3 => '2',
4 => 0,
5 => 1,
6 => '<p>مرحبا</p>',
7 => '1',
8 => 0,
9 => 1309087897,
10 => 1,
11 => 0,
12 => 0,
13 => 0,
14 => '',
15 => 3,
)]

Stack trace:
  • line 394 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_write_exception thrown
  • line 980 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
  • line 1012 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->update_record_raw()
  • line 145 of /mod/glossary/edit.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->update_record()

Can you shed some light on the above please?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nadia Yassine

Re: Glossary does not show Arabic content

Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This error message probably means that you have not installed your moodle database with the UTF-8 encoding, as required by Moodle (since 1.9 in fact). Is that a brand-new moodle install or an upgrade from an earlier moodle version and if so which version?

Did you insall the database yourself or your internet provider installed it ? Which type of database is it : mysql, MSql, PostSQL, etc.?

I have just tried the glossary entry you suggested and it works OK on my Moodle 2.0 test site.

Please check your moodle database encoding.

Joseph

Attachment 26-06-2011 23-07-47.jpg