Language customization in 2.0.2

Language customization in 2.0.2

by Prof Larsen -
Number of replies: 7

I have done extensive customization of my language pack, fixing lots of spelling errors and wording.

Now I'm trying to change a customization I made to the login page and cannot find the string ANYWHERE. I have looked via the language customization interface and even by searching the moodle.php files in the original and local language folders. In fact, the string that exists in those files for the first visit instructions shows as something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than what is displaying on the page (and what I wish to change).

Yes, I have cleared the cache!

I have exhausted my troubleshooting ideas. HELP!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Prof Larsen

Re: Language customization in 2.0.2

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

This may not be relevent, but what theme are you using?

I ask this because in Moodle 2.0 each core theme is capable of holding language strings in the lang/en/theme_themename.php. So in a core theme like Splash for instance, which has a custom Login, all the language strings associated with the Login can be found in splash/lang/en/theme_splash.php.

Also, which may or my not be relevant as I am not sure how knowledgeable you are about Moodle and how Language packs work especially if you have been editing them, but like all files they need refreshing so to speak. You do this in the same why you add a Language pack, except you choose update language packs. But as I said at the start this is probably something you may/or may not have done already.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Prof Larsen -

Thanks Mary, for your thoughtful response.

I'm using "Brick" as my theme, but didn't find my string there.

In my desperation, I did do the language pack update. No difference.

I have now grepped all the files in both the domain and the database directories and my "string" that I want to edit does not exist in ANY of the files.

Here's what's really got me stumped: When I view the page source for the login page, I SEE THE TEXT I want to change. When I edit index.php, the text is NOT THERE. This leads me to assume index.php calls another file where this string resides but I cannot find that file. See grepping efforts above. If I knew PHP well enough, maybe I could sleuth it out...

Incidentally, the text doesn't seem to be assigned to a string identifier; it's just text tagged with <span>. So it seems I don't actually have a language customization question after all (?).

In reply to Prof Larsen

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In that case it's most likely been added using HTML writer which is used in renderers in themes, and relates to moodle/lib/outputrenderer.php.

But of course all this depends on where the text appears, and what it actually says, in order to discover where it's coming from.

Mary

In reply to Prof Larsen

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Please note that login instructions can be customized elsewhere in the site administration. Sorry I'm on the mobile now and can't provide more detailed info.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

As Robert and David mention, you'll most likely find the text for your login page in the auth_instructions field in Settings > Site administration > Plugins > Authentication > Manage authentication.

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Language customization in 2.0.2 SOLVED

by Prof Larsen -

@Robert, @Mary, @David, @Helen

Thank you all for your help. I found the text field! Yay!

I had checked the Manage Authentication page several times and skimmed right over it (probably because I didn't expect to find it there). It took you guys all pointing me in the right direction to look again. I'm good to go!

Happy Moodling!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)