General plugins

Enterprise Learning Intelligence Suite for Moodle Released

Picture of Michael Penney
Group Developers

Remote-Learner's Enterprise Learning Intelligence System (ELIS(TM)) for Moodle - Community Version Code has been released to the Moodle publicsmile.

ELIS(TM) is a set of add-ons to standard Moodle, these add-ons provide the administrative, business intelligence, data mining, learning management, content management, and longitudinal record keeping functions that standard Moodle does not not provide. ELIS(TM) code is managed by Remote-Learner's team of long time Moodle experts, core developers, and expert support and training staff.

Some example uses are:

• Professional Development Programs (K12, etc.)
  • Talent Development and Management
  • Certification Programs
  • Sales Team Training
  • Internal Corporate Training (Compliance, Diversity, etc.)
  • Higher Education Accreditation
  • Outcomes Management & Reporting
  • Publisher Content-Moodle course distribution, reporting, and management.

The community version of the ELIS(TM) for Moodle code can be found at https://github.com/remotelearner - note that this is a set of add-ons (blocks, auth plugin, and patches, etc.) to Moodle - you will need a functioning version of Moodle to install ELIS into. New releases of ELIS are built against the latest release of Moodle - if you install into an older release, things may break.

Installation and techincal details can be found at https://github.com/remotelearner/elis.base/blob/master/README.mkd.

Please make sure to check the system requirements before installing - there are some extra system requirements beyond what is required for Moodle itself.

Note also that ELIS requires MySQL v5 and is not fully compatible with PostgreSQL or other RDMSs.

ELIS information and User documentation can be found at http://rlcommunity.remote-learner.net/.

We've also put in an entry in the Modules and Plug-ins database here: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=4894 (pending  approval)

The community version of the ELIS(TM) code is unsupported, and is provided "as is" with no warantee or guarantee of functionality*.

Enjoy!
Michael

*For a fully integrated, managed, maintained, supported and certfied version of ELIS(TM) for Moodle, contact Remote Learner at http://remote-learner.net/contactme.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of doug hinkle
Re: Enterprise Learning Intelligence Suite for Moodle Released

Michael,

I wanted to test the ELIS functionality so I created a new installation of Moodle 1.9.1+ on my server and then loaded all of the files from the various ELIS zip packages. Everything seemed to install fine and I had no errors. My site looked exactly like it did before I installed the ELIS files. I did notice that there were several new blocks from the modules directory so I looked to add a Block. I found several new blocks but when I added the Curriculum Administration block, no block was added and it took away my Blocks block so that I cannot add any additional block. Also, when I try to go to any page, there is only a blank page.

When I install the ELIS files and then activate them from the Notifications page, should anything look different in my administration page? Is there something else that I should do? I have tried to do it 3 times with the same result. I did so to make sure that I did not copy files into the wrong folders.

Picture of David Hedges

Doug-

Did you resolve this? We, too, have installed and see the blocks in the modules area, but there isn't any administration/settings area. Can't do anything with it. According to the documentation, there should be a Program Manager, Reports Manager & Notification Manager, but I have not been able to find any of these.

Picture of doug hinkle

I still have not gotten it to work properly. I tried several installations with different options but no luck with any of them. I guess that the code is there but since Remoter Learner is still offering this as a service for a fee, there will be no additional documentation to help with the install. Too bad, I work with clients who could use this functionality. I also consult with several organizations on their Moodle installs so I would like to figure this out. I just don't have the time to go through the code and figure everything out myself. Maybe we can continue to work through this together.

When I installed it, I found several blocks but when I tried to activate one of hte blocks, it caused my blocks block to disappear and now I cannot add any additional blocks.

Picture of David Hedges

Solved!

I was also getting the following error: “require_js: mywebsite.com/lib/yui/yahoo/yahoo-min.js - file not found.”

My IT guy was able to resolve the error, after which the block "Curriculum Administration" appeared on my home page. From there I could access ELIS. I asked my IT guy to explain what he did to resolve:

"Our server (Ubuntu Natty) has the packages for Moodle and libjs-yui installed (among others).  The Moodle package itself doesn’t include YUI except for the “treeview” YUI library  YIU itself is provided by libjs-yui and lives in /usr/share/javascript/yui/ and not /usr/share/moodle/lib/yui/ where Moodle is looking for it.

To fix this, I did the following as root:

# cd /usr/share/moodle

# mv lib/yui lib/yui.dist

# ln –s /usr/share/javascript/yui/ lib/yui

There’s no need to reboot or restart the web server; the change will be visible immediately.

Note that if you’re on a platform other than Ubuntu Natty, your mileage may vary; your files may have been installed in different locations, and/or you may not have a handy package available for YUI."

Hope this helps!

Picture of Jakob Ackermann

Hello Michael,

what do you mean by "Publisher Content-Moodle course distribution". I'm looking for a way to distribute courses to different Moodle installation and keep them in sync.

-Jakob

Picture of Daniel Wright

Greetings Michael,

Just wondering if there are any plans to update ELIS to support Moodle 2.x?

Thanks,
Dan

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hubert talked about ELIS during http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Developer_meeting_August_2011. Apparently they are in the middle of converting it to Moodle 2.x.

Picture of Daniel Wright

Awesome!  Thanks for the update Tim.

Picture of David Hedges

Any update on the availablility of ELIS, based on Moodle 2.0?

Picture of David Hedges

Bump...

Picture of Michael Penney
Group Developers

ELIS 2.0 has just been released smile.

http://bit.ly/elis2moodle2

Happy Holidays!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Vikram Solia

Congrats Michael,

Have github repositories been updated with the new version?

Thanks in advance!

Picture of Kevin Green

I am trying to install the Community version of ELIS

I have installed Alfresco and it seems to be working

I have downloaded the Community version of ELIS which contains version.php files that point to Moodle1.9.15+ Build 20111209. 

However I cannot locate any other install instructions (beyond the readme.mkd) file that came with the ELIS download

Does anyone know of any other materials that would be helpful in installing ELIS beyond the materials in the package?

I am not that savy about adding things to Moodle and I cannot quite figure out how to proceed.  There appears to be many files that would overlay one another - I am probably missing the big picture.

I hope there is someone who can offer some guidance/information in this area.

Thanks in advance

( I had posted this same request in the forum Home/ ► My courses/ ► Using Moodle/ ► Getting started/ ► Installation problems/ ► Community Version of ELIS install - however it probably should be here)

Picture of Tara Coulson

Kevin,

Have you received any information about this? I cannot even find a user community for these products. The http://rlcommunity.remote-learner.net site has extensive usage documentation but no installation documentation.

Thanks for any update!

Tara

Picture of Kevin Green

Tara,

Nothing yet, I do agree that the usage documetation is very extensive and well organized.  That is one reason I found the suite so attractive.

I have attached the readme file that contains the install instructions that came with the package I downloaded.

The instructions that that deal with installing  the /core/file/repository/alfresco/webscripts/* in Alfresco are very descriptive.  I wish the file contained instructions like those for the other repositories.

Well now we are 2 - does this constitute a movement yet or perhaps the beginning of a user community...

Let's keep each other updated - Thanks!

Picture of Scott Karren
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Anyone else out there using or trying to use ELIS that can provide some help on getting this installed?  I just need to know where the files under the "core" and "addons" directories go.

Scott Karren

Picture of Joe Donnelly

The files go in their matching path.

The root folder you start with will be the html folder where Moodle is installed

Example

elise.base\addons\admin\ = html\admin

elise.base\core\admin\ = html\admin

Part I figured out the hard way after having to blow away my Moodle install like 5 times was. (Test system)

Install the files in this order.

Get Moodle up and running.

Stop your web server if possible

elise.base\addons

elise.base\core

Patch elise.base

elise.openid\addons

elise.openid\core

elise.cm\addons\

elise.cm\core\

patch elise.cm

elise.reportng\addons\

elise.reporting\core\

patch elis.reporting

restart your web server and Moodle won't look much different but there will be at least 1 new block when you log in as a site admin.

the new block is called Program Management and you should be off and running. I hope this helps.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Mi picture

Hello.

I am trying to install ELIS2.

I have installed Moodle 2.1.5+

I applied succesfully elis2 base and elis2 cm.

I realized that elis.alfresco that you can find at GIT is 1.9.6,  but I could find this package for Moodle 2.1.x.

I tried to apply one patch, and obsviously is not possible.

Where I can find that?

I promise that I will give you a ZIP with Moodle2+ELIS2 when I am done.

Juan

Mi picture

Well,

I am still working on Alfresco, but For anybody who wants I leave that here:

http://wp.me/p2loFh-5

Juan

Picture of Beau Taub

Joe,

Great set of instructions. It was just what I needed to get ELIS installed. The patching part was a little tricky and I still have plugins that won't upgrade, but I was able to move past those issues.

Just wanted to mention, for the patching, this worked for me:

# Copy the contents of patches to your moodle directory, where admin, auth, lib, etc live. cd to that directory.
# Then, first do a dry-run
for i in `find . -name *patch`;do echo "File: " $i; patch -d /var/www/vhosts/elis/web/ --dry-run -p1 -i $i ;done
# Confirm that you're seeing files get patched and not 'can't find file to patch' or other errors.
# Once confirmed, take out --dry-run and let it rip
for i in `find . -name *patch`;do echo "File: " $i; patch -d /var/www/vhosts/elis/web/ -p1 -i $i ;done

It would be super-nice if the creators of ELIS put out official installation instructions, but I imagine they have their reasons for not doing so.

Thanks again for the instructions.

-Beau

Picture of Joe Donnelly

I'm glad I was able to help you out.

for Those who are trying to get Alfresco to work.. I wouldn't worry about it as its not supported with Elis 2.0/ moodle 2.x as of yet.  

See bottom of the Elis 2.0 Release notes. 

http://rlcommunity.remote-learner.net/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=37

It looks like it will be added as of Elis 2.0.1 but who knows when that will be.

Joe Donnelly

Picture of Troy Shimkus

Okay, so I've started this process, I used the most recent build, and the first patch failed. I'm guessing I have to use a specific edition of Moodle. Do you know what version that is?

I was trying to use the Elis version numbers, but since github lists elis.base   at different versions for each folder in there, 1.9.3, 1.9.2.4, and such, I guess I can't rely on those...

Picture of Scott Karren

Troy

If you are using Moodle 2.1.5 you want to use the ELIS package made for that version.  In the git hub repository click on the down arrow next to the master branch and choose elis2.  Right above that same dropdown is a ZIP link to download the repository as a zip file.  That is probably the one you want.

HTH

Scott

Picture of Scott Karren

For those of you that have elis running, how is it working?  I am most curious on how elis handles pre-existing courses, was there any conversion that needed to take place or any work that was needed to get them working properly under elis?  I look forward to hearing from you.

Scott

Picture of Joe Donnelly

Well Elis runs on top of Moodle so any moodle course should still work pretty much the same. We are only running it in a test setup but I haven't had any issues with create new courses and it seems to import existing courses with out any issues.

Picture of Troy Shimkus

Thanks. I did that with the selecting elis2 bracnch and downloaded that zip. I checked the version.php file and it lists 2.1.5 so I think that's a big help. I assume that means that I have to use 2.1.5, it hasn't been released or tested with later versions.

Thanks so much for the help, can't wait to try that out and see if I can get it running.

Picture of Joe Donnelly

If you check the version.php file in the Elis zip file, it will show you what version of moodle it will work with

Picture of Troy Shimkus

The version.php file int eh Base that I downloaded shows 1.9. So either I didn't download the correct one or it is not compatible with 2.x?

Picture of Travis McElroy

Joe/All>

Also trying to install ELIS 2 (.base, .cm, .openid, .reporting) on top of Moodle 2.2

I'm runnig XAMPP (http://localhost) on a Windows7 machine as a development/testing environment.

I went to github and ZIP-ed the 4 categories listed above, but when I unzip them, it's not easily clear where these components need to go.  I tried to put the elis directory under moodle/mod as per other plug-ins...but that didn't work.

I see where Joe "mapped" some files, but I still need further guidance/clarification.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Picture of Camilo Rivera

Installing ELIS is not easy at all. I believe having no guide for installing it is actually intended by the company behind ELIS.

Basically you need to drop everything from the ZIP file into your Moodle root directory and then applying the patches included using GIT (if that doesn't work you will need to patch manually).

Good luck bro!

Picture of Travis McElroy

Camilo> That's what I'm finding...since I'm a total newbie at using GIT, how can I patch manually?  Each of the 4 elis zip files open with a "addons" "core" "patches" subdirectories, how do I know which subdirectories under my moodle installation to copy them into?  Also, how can I ensure no overwriting of critical moodle files?  Any other resources you can point me to?

Thanks!

Picture of Scott Karren

Travis

What Camilo said is the absolute truth.  Installing and setting up ELIS is not for the faint of heart.  With some time, patience, intestinal fortitude, and lots of backups and restores you can do it.

With regards to knowing which subdirectories you need to put files in, I will take a bit of Joe's post above.

elise.base\addons\admin\ = "your moodle root dir"\admin

elise.base\core\admin\ = "your moodle root dir"\admin

The directory structure of ELIS mimics that of Moodle.  So, anything within the addons subdirectory you will want to drop into your Moodle root directory, the files will drop into their respective subdirectories.  The same goes for the core subdirectory, drop the contents of the core subdir into your Moodle root and the files will drop into their respective subdirectories.

With regards to manually "patching" existing files.  You will need to find an application that allows you to apply diff patches.  You can go here http://docs.moodle.org/dev/How_to_apply_a_patch for some Moodle docs on how to do this or you can do a Google search on "apply diff patch tutorial" and look for sites that can help you with this.

HTH

Scott Karren

Picture of Scott Karren

All

I am running across a problem with the user activity ETL process that I hope someone can help me with.

The first time the ETL process runs it finishes with no warnings and no errors.  The next time it runs I start getting messages like: 

"user_activity_add_session(userid = 54, courseid = 1, session_start = 1335461622, session_end = 1335461813): Warning: remainder duration > 3600"

and eventually the process will error out with this:

!!! Error writing to database !!!
!! Duplicate entry '75-1483-1337889600' for key 'mdl_etlusermoduacti_usecmi_uix'
INSERT INTO mdl_etl_user_module_activity (userid,courseid,cmid,hour,duration) VALUES(?,?,?,?,?)
[array (
0 => '75',
1 => '17',
2 => '1483',
3 => 1337889600,
4 => 204,
)] !!
!! Stack trace: * line 397 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: dml_write_exception thrown
* line 893 of \lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
* line 935 of \lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->insert_record_raw()
* line 163 of \elis\core\plugins\user_activity\etl.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->insert_record()
* line 320 of \elis\core\plugins\user_activity\etl.php: call to user_module_activity_add_session()
* line 180 of \elis\core\plugins\user_activity\etl.php: call to user_activity_task_process()
* line ? of unknownfile: call to user_activity_etl_cron()
* line 112 of \elis\core\cron.php: call to call_user_func()
* line 411 of \lib\cronlib.php: call to elis_cron()
* line 61 of \admin\cli\cron.php: call to cron_run()
!!

It seems that the ETL process is trying to put a record in that already exists, which I don't think it should be doing.  Before I go any further I should say that my site is not hugely active, I only have 7738 records in my mdl_log table.  Since the ETL process is set to process 10,000 records at a time, this should be small beans for it.

I did some digging and found that the etl.php file in www/elis/core/plugins/user_activity  contains a function that sets the time value of the mdl_log table as the last_run time of the ETL process in the mdl_config_plugins table and then uses that value as the start time for the next ETL process.

What I am finding is the last_run value is being set to the time field of the very first record of my mdl_log table, so the ETL process finsihes the first time, but then starts over the next time and I get errors.

I am not a PHP developer, but I understand (with the help of google and many books) for the most part, what I am looking at.  Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to resolve it?  If you haven't seen this can anyone give me some pointers on what I need to do to fix this?  I can work around it by setting the last_run value to the first time value in my mdl_log table and then truncating the mdl_etl_user_module_activity and mdl_etl_user_activity tables, but I would rather fix it for good.

Scott

Picture of Scott Karren

Ok

After some more digging I have found that running the ETL process multiple times with no log records to process causes it to set the last_run time to be the time of the first record in the mdl_log table.

With that in mind, I have found a better work around than the one I listed above.  Since my site is small and I do not have that many log files created (maybe 5K in a day) I went into the mdl_elis_scheduled_tasks table and changed the run time for the eliscoreplugins_user_activity record to run only once a night instead of running every ten minutes over the course of 4 hours.  For now this seems to have resolved my issue.  We will see if that holds true.  I would welcome any other thoughts or ideas here.  Thanks.

Scott Karren

Picture of Oran Blackwell

That worked perfectly Joe thanks.

However I am experiencing a problem with Elis that I am hoping someone can help me with, as the Community Version is unsupported by Remote Learner.

The error I am getting in a couple of places is:

Fatal error: Call to a member function valid() on a non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\Zend\elis\moodle\elis\program\plugins\userset_classification\usersetclassification.class.php on line 135

It happens when I try to assign a user set to a track (for example from this page:/elis/program/index.php?s=trkclst&id=

It also happens when I try to add a NEW User set to a SUB set, but not
when I add it to the top level. I AM able to go back and edit the user
set and add it as a sub set without difficulty. - to clarify, it only
happens on the create NEW User Set.

Would someone with a working version mind giving the above scenarios a go and see if it happens to them too.

Thanks in advance.

What I have installed

//Moodle version.php
$version  = 2011070106.00;
$release  = '2.1.6 (Build: 20120514)';

/elis/core/version.php
$plugin->version = 2011091401;
$plugin->release = '2.1.0.4 (Build: 20120514)';

The following were installed/patched as per Joe's instructions.

remotelearner-elis.base-ELIS_2.1.0.4-5-g851ded1
remotelearner-elis.openid-ELIS_2.1.0.4-5-gf03ccce
remotelearner-elis.reporting-ELIS_2.1.0.4-5-g462b539
remotelearner-elis.cm-ELIS_2.1.0.4-5-ga460d25

Picture of Camilo Rivera

Hello Oran,

We have come upon the same error and finally found a solution. The problem resides in the userset_classification plugin installation.

1. Uninstall userset_classification
  2. Open userset_classification/db/install.php in your favorite editor
  3. Search for require_once(dirname(__FILE__).'/../../../../config.php');
  4. Replace it with require_once(dirname(__FILE__).'/../../../../../config.php');
  5. Reinstall userset_classification

Now, the installation should run smoothly without any errors.

Basically, there's a missing /.. in the path to config.php.

I hope this helps you solving your problem.

Picture of Mahendra Soni

Has someone installed elis for MOODLE 2.4.2

I'm trying to install elis with moodle 2.4.2 but unable to install elis/core and elis /program in it.

Can anyone help me to install elis database tables ?

How could I allow moodle to install elis core tables ?

Thanks

Msoni

Picture of Ajeet Kumar

How to install Elis2 in moodle 2.4?

Picture of Mahendra Soni

Wait for some more day.

I have updated my GIT repository with ELIS2 for moodle2.4 and will share soon in this forum or new one.

Thanks

Msoni

Picture of David Manning

Hi folks, 

Just a heads-up: Despite the lack of setup documentation, I eventually figured out how to install Reporting. Seems in the current version it's not named correctly or not configured right for installation through Admin > Plugins > Install Add-ons. I discovered the proper installation folder by editing the plugin's .php files to figure out the path. Here's how you install the current Reporting plugin:  

Stop the moodle server

Ensure you've already installed and patched the base and cm components

Extract the contents of moodle-block_php_report-MOODLE_25_STABLE into wwwroot/moodle/blocks/php_report/ 

Start the moodle server and access it - let Moodle find and configure the plugin. 

Enjoy! The reporting functionality seems great - now I just need to figure out why my Moodle users aren't getting copied into the ELIS module :|

Picture of Sahar Ali

Hi everyone

I am trying to install the complete ELIS extension with my moodle 2.8 (already installed). I got help from another thread on which pluggins to install to get the complete ELIS functionality , the list is

moodle-local_eliscore.git
moodle-local_elisprogram.git
moodle-local_elisreports.git
moodle-local_datahub.git
moodle-block_elisadmin.git
moodle-block_elisdashboard.git (ELIS >= 2.7)
moodle-block_courserequest.git
moodle-block_enrolsurvey.git
moodle-enrol_elis.git

But unfortunately , like David (above) I am facing the naming convention problem with all the pluggins. The pluggins I usually install on my moodle are in the form "mod_reservation_moodle28_2015031101" but all of these have names like "moodle-local_eliscore-MOODLE_26_STABLE".  

Trying to install these pluggins through Site Administration>Plugins>Install plugins. Is there any other way to go ahead with ELIS installation?

Regards

Picture of Just H

Sorry  Sahar, I should have mentioned when you get plugins from github chances are you will need to rename the folder when you unzip it (not 100% sure on "need" to but I always do). So in your example "moodle-local_eliscore-MOODLE_26_STABLE" you need to drop that folder into the "local" directory and rename to "eliscore".

You also have the wrong version; for 2.8 change the dropdown on github and then download:

That's assuming you are not using git to install and indeed are just just uploading zip files to the backend.

The names give the hint as to where to install them e.g. "moodle-block_elisadmin.git" is installed in "blocks" and the directory gets renamed to just "elisadmin".

Once you have the plugins in the correct directories just go to "Site Administration > Notifications" and you should be prompted to finish the installation.

Picture of Sahar Ali

Thank You sooo much H. You saved the day indeed :D
We have successfully installed ELIS and currently going through its functionality. Very Impresseive . Thank you again. 

Picture of Just H

No worries, good to hear you have it all installed. As I said in the other thread, from the short time "playing" with it I have had it does look like a very good option for people who need more business type logic than Moodle supplies out of the box.

Fair bit to learn with it and no doubt you have already found the guides but just in case, Remote Learners latest official guide is here and from the looks of it most, if not all, of it has been copied into the Moodle docs here.

Good luck with it smile

H

Picture of Max Brown

Hello Just H,

I was following your instruction to install ELIS plugins. I was able to install SCORE after getting correct version and renaming to adding to local folder.

I did same for PROGRAM , REPORTS & DATAHUB. But I got attached error. 

I tried "Check for available updates" but it is not going anywhere.

Please advice. 

Picture of Just H

G'day Max

From the looks of it I would say you may have installed the wrong version of ELIS Core (e.g. Data Hub, ELIS Program and ELIS Reports are telling you they need Elis Core version 2015010403 - note the latest for Moodle 2.8 is actually 2015010404 from a quick look on github).

ELIS Program is also dependant on ELIS Enrol being installed.

What version of Moodle are you running? You need to ensure you download the correct version of all the ELIS plugins from github as per the screenshot in this post above; worth checking you did actually get the right ones.

H

Picture of Max Brown

Thanks H !!

We got moodle version  2014111005 and release 2.8.5 (Build: 20150310), branch 28.

I am trying to find out the correct version of 2015010403.Is the below correct one & pick Master branch ?

https://github.com/remotelearner/moodle-local_eliscore/tree/MOODLE_28_STABLE

Picture of Just H

You're welcome smile

If you just download the zip from the page you linked to you should be good to go; that will give you the latest version of ELIS core for Moodle 2.8+ so the other plugins should be OK as they are looking for 2015010403 as a minimum.

Picture of Mike Churchward
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

One thing to note, the Moodle plug-in installation feature has an "Advanced" area that has a checkbox to deal with specific zip file name problem you are noting above.

mike

Picture of Just H

G'day Mike, I never use that page to install plugins (find it easier working directly on the server) but had a look when I read your post. It's a handy function but easy to miss (in our current theme anyway) as it's so well hidden:

Considering it's just one field not sure why it's originally hidden, particularly with the link so disjointed from the upload field.

Thanks for bringing this to my (our) attention.