Workshop not adding elements

Workshop not adding elements

by Alex Walker -
Number of replies: 8
I've been playing with workshops for the first time today, but I'm not having much luck.

I've set it up with a max grade of 20 and 5 elements.  When I go to the next screen, I enter all the info in, with all the scales set on 4-point scales (so that the 20 marks should work out, right?).

Anyway, I click on Save changes at the bottom and it takes me to the same screen again with blank boxes and no evidence of anything having happened.  Even if I enter info into those boxes, they just keep coming up blank... have I set something up wrong?  Is there some setting I've missed? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex Walker

Re: Workshop not adding elements

by J B -
This seems to be exactly the same as the problem I'm having - have you experimented with setting number of assessment elements to 0?

I tried importing a workshop I had created elsewhere, and that was unsuccessful too dead. At the moment I have disabled the workshop module in fear that the non-functioning module will hinder uptake by tutors.
In reply to J B

by Alex Walker -

It does go through if I set them to zero, but that's a bit pointless isn't it?

Any other ideas?

In reply to Alex Walker

by Alex Walker -
Just to clarify that I'm running moodle 1.4.3+ on Server 2003, IIS, PHP 5, MySQL 4... don't know if that will affect this issue, but realised I hadn't said.
In reply to Alex Walker

by Alex Walker -

Well I've had a look around and it seems the assessments.php file is causing an error in PHP like this:

[24-Feb-2005 11:25:38] PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\mod\workshop\assessments.php on line 614

Where the line number changes depending on the grading strategy.  So it appears it's this type of line that's causing the problem:

foreach ($form->description as $key => $description) {

So I had a look at the form when it was displayed in the editelements function and found this:

echo "<TD><textarea name=\"description[]\" rows=3 cols=75 wrap=\"virtual\">".$elements[$i]->description."</textarea>\n";

I thought perhaps at first that the name "description[]" was the problem, but removing this didn't solve it.

My PHP skills are somewhat limited, but I thought this might help someone who knows what's going on a bit better to have a look and maybe sort it out. I'd really like to be able to use workshops, but until this is sorted, I can't. HELP!?

In reply to Alex Walker

by Mark Stevens -
We are experiencing this too, "Could not insert workshop element".

Is there a patch/workaround?
In reply to Alex Walker

by Jason Ward -
Has anyone noticed any kind of pattern to this error?

I used this workshop yesterday and spent the night fielding frustrated emails from students whose comments had been deleted in this manner. Now, today, in a different class - I can't get the error to re-appear! Did it magically fix itself?

Could it be something to do with how many essays are in the system, how many students are online, solar flares? If we can identify what causes the bug, maybe we can work around it until some bright spark fixes it.

I tried setting the Maximum Score to zero, but that didn't seem to have any effect yesterday. I'm also thinking of just asking the students to only write in the final General Comment box -do you think that might avoid the bug? The bug only seems to come from comments and not from scores -am I right? Could the Type of Feedback play a part (e.g.: 7-point scale v 1-10)?

The workshop is a tricky one to test, so any ideas or similar experiences would be welcome...
In reply to Alex Walker

by Elizabeth Lewis -
I have found that all of the elements have to be filled in and saved in order for the workshop to work.  If you skip one element (or description in a rubric) and try and save, sometimes you get an error message, other times it nothing saves.  I have also had problems if I take too long to finish adding the elements in. My solution has been to put the bare bone basics in and then save, then I go back and edit.