Can this be done?

Can this be done?

by Jeff Wood -
Number of replies: 5

At my school we use moodle as a blended/extension of our classrooms.

Here is what I would like to know:

Can moodle grades (or another mod/block) allow teachers to add an in class activity that carries no marks (homework check) with a data that is only visible by the specific student and is easily updated?

It seems in mooodle 1.9+ one can create a manual entry but I don't see a place to add a date.

My intention is to use moodle as a method to allow student and parents (with their child's login) to track in class work.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

Re: Can this be done?

by Rob Johnson -

Have you considered the offline activity assignment? You can set a due date, and set it to no grade.  You could also use a scale.  I have seen teachers in my district that use a Turned in/Not turned in scale for offline activities.

Rob

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Jeff Wood -

Thanks for the suggestion Rob.

I just looked at the offline activity and it will work but seems a little awkward.

• as a quick done/not done the assignment grading is cumbersome (save show next) for each student
  • I also tried to enter via grades screen - much faster (tab for next student) but new items are added at the far right and user names disappear from left when there are too many entries making it hard to know who is who
  • can items be removed from grades (I have a few quizzes, SCORM packages hidden from students as they are not always used) to clean up the display area?

I guess what I really envision is something like a spread sheet where adding a column (item) and quickly enter done/not done is easy and this data is only shown to the student who it is assigned to.

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Kristian Still -

In the categories view - add grade item and set the maz score accordingly.

Would recommend creating a category with grade items or and grade item that could be updated - same grade item eg - currently up to date / not up to date.

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Rob Johnson -

I think categories are the way to deal with horizontal scrolling.  You can collapse the categories that are not current, and the new items to the far right will be much closer to the student names.