Is 'Check' after questions not a bit terse?

Is 'Check' after questions not a bit terse?

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm actually looking at 2.1Beta but, to be honest, I've not really looked at Quizzes for ages (since the 1.9 days)..

A question has the button marked "Check" after it. I'm not sure I understand what it does. Could this be a little more verbose? The same could be said for things like that little flag. I've flagged the question, but why / what does it actually do (assuming it does something that is)?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Is 'Check' after questions not a bit terse?

by Tim F -

I agree and am looking for a solution. Is there a way so that you can't "check answers" until you have submitted the quiz???

In reply to Tim F

by Nikita M -

In moodle 2.1 beta if you don't wish that check button appear should use deffered feedback.

In reply to Nikita M

by Tim F -

Ok.  Where can I access the control to activate the deferred feedback?? I'm not seeing it in the quiz settings...thanks!

In reply to Tim F

by Tim F -

If anyone is as novice as me it's located in the >site administration > plugins > activity modules > quiz

In reply to Tim F

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually, no. That is where you set the default setting for all newly created quizzes.

To change the setting for a particular quiz, it is on Quiz settings -> Edit settings.

In reply to Tim F

by Howard Miller -
I don't have a problem with the functionality - I just think that it might not be clear what it does. Especially when there is another button called 'Next'. For example, if I don't press 'Check' will my answers be lost when I press Next?

by Tim Hunt -

I can just say that we have been using this UI for years at the OU with no apparent problem. But I am still listening (reading) what people say.

As Nikita pointed out, how the question in the quiz behave is controlled by the 'How questions behave' setting on the quiz form, which replaces the old choice Adaptive mode: yes/no.

The best way to understand what all those modes do is to preview a question. You can try all the different modes in the preview window.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -
It's not me I'm thinking about. It's users - "what button do I press?".

I worry when end users are given options smile

by Ray Lawrence -

It "flags" the question so that, prior to completing the attempt one can see which questions may need re-visiting.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

From the start that this new feature was introduced I've been skeptical about its real usefulness.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -

and other people love it. So, you can just ignore it, or turn it off, and allow others to enjoy it.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -
I still haven't spotted where you turn it off.....

by Tim Hunt -

This one is controlled by a capability moodle/question:flag.

The graphic designer working on the theme for the OU VLE came up with a nicer design - basically a smaller flag with some visible text. I like it, so I may well make that change in standard Moodle before 2.1 is released.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)