General help

Picture of anthony ramos
mod/quiz:preview

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the full consequences (in Moodle 1.9) of switching from "NOT SET" to "ALLOW" the following setting for my STUDENT group:

mod/quiz:preview

I read that a user cannot preview and attempt a quiz because previeing takes precedence but what exactly is the difference between the previewing and attempting a quiz?

Will user's results for the quiz still be recorded in the database and viewable in grades if ALLOW is set?

Is there anything important I should know before making the change?

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: mod/quiz:preview
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Quiz preview are stored in the database, but only temporarily. The can be discarded at any time.

What are you actually trying to achieve?

Picture of anthony ramos

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I am glad you asked what we are trying to achieve. I think this concept may work well for future additions in Moodle - partcularly for maths type questions. A summary:

We have been making changes to the source code and have included a flag in the UPDATE QUIZ called "Use Quiz as Practice Questions only".

If selected as YES this basically removes all the SUBMIT buttons from the bottom of the quiz form and also displays the START AGAIN button at the top of the quiz for all users. References to the word "QUIZ" are replaced with "PRACTICE QUESTIONS".

It allows users to start a "practice questions" session and click START AGAIN at the top of the "quiz" to generate some more random questions. We generally place 3-5 questions a time on the page and they re-paginate by clicking START AGAIN.

We leave ADAPTIVE mode ON so each question on the form has a SUBMIT so they can check their answer on a question by question basis.

We didn't want to set PREVIEW QUIZ as ALLOW because we thought there may be database storage problems for the other "serious quizzes" (hence my original question). By having a flag on a quiz by quiz basis we can achieve our end aim.

I'd welcome any feedback you may have about this. After brief testing it seems to work nicely but we may have overlooked something...

For your situation, letting students use preview will work nicely. The only potential issues are:

1. It only keeps the most recent attempt for each user. When they start a new attempt, it deletes the previous one.
  2. ... and actually, in other situations (basically when you edit the quiz) it will delete the current attempt too.

Also, previews don't show up in the quiz reports.

The alternative is to just create the quiz as normal, and allow unlimited attempts. That will keep all the results of all attempts (it is interesting to think about the pedagogic differences that causes in the nature of the activity). It also means that to start a new attempt, the student would have to click through the review page, rather than just clicking 'Start again'. (I think that would actually be 5 mouse clicks in 2.0/2.1, rather than 1!)

By the way, I have in mind a completely separate 'question practice' activity that uses questions from the question bank. I must find time to write down my ideas so people can critique them.

Picture of anthony ramos

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

If I was to turn on previewing for the STUDENT ROLE wouldn't it then affect their performance/recording of data in the other quizzes which we do not want to treat as "practice"? (We have some quizzes that we take seriously in which we need to record all attempts).

The principle reason we added this practice feature was so that we could keep previewing off for the role but turn on practicing for some quizzes only.

Apologies if I have misunderstood something here....

You can change the permissions of the student role globally, by editing the role definition.

Or, you can change the permissions of the student role just in one quiz using the Override permissions page.

Obviously, you want to do the second of those.

Picture of anthony ramos

Hi Tim,

Thanks - the override permissions page was something I did not think of... As the code has been written we might leave it as is as there have been some other minor tweaks which work in our favour.

Thanks again for your help with this.