Need instructions

Need instructions

د Sid g لخوا -
د ځوابونو شمیر: 2

Hi,

I am a retired high school teacher trying to create an elearning course in Moodle for my students. Please excuse me if some points below are meant to be in another section but since the majority of my queries are concerned with the lessons module, I am posting them here.

My course outline is as follows -

1) Advanced Physics
2) Advanced Maths
3) Trigonometry

To start off, I have created 3 courses with the above mentioned names. These courses are visible on the main page.

Now, each course is to be structured as follows:

1) Introduction (text only with some general directions etc.)
2) Topic 1
--Sub Topic 1.1
--Sub Topic 1.2
3) Topic 2
--Sub Topic 2.1
--Sub Topic 2.2
4) Final Evaluation Test

My queries:

1) Introduction (text only) - Here, I want to give the user the option either (a) to skip directly to the evaluation test or (b) to start the course. Option (a) should take them directly to the final evaluation course mentioned above and option (b) to Topic 1 mentioned above. I have created a "lesson" module for the introduction and tried using a branch table but was unable to link to the final test or topic 1 which is outside the current lesson module. How do I do this?

2) How can I create a lesson the lesson sub-topics are visible on the 'Topic Outline' page. For example, if I create a lesson topic 2 and within it sub-topics 2.1, 2.1. The outline page will only show me the "Topic 2" name. Is there a way to show a heirarchy like this on the outline page -

Introduction

Topic 1

• Sub Topic 1.1 (These should be directly linked to the course page of 1.1)
  • Sub Topic 1.2

Topic 2

• Sub Topic 2.1
  • Sub Topic 2.2

Evaluation Test

3) Is it possible to make Topic 2 accessible only when Topic 1 has been completed?

4) Is there a way the students can track their progress through a course with the help of an indicator? For example if they have completed 3 out 4 lessons in course Trignometry then on the topic outlines page or on the main course page there should be a graph or text stating - 75% completed or 25% remaining.

4) Last question: The students will complete a course only if they have scored at least 80% correct answers in the final test. Is there a way I can give them a custom message at the end of of lesson that says 'Please go through the course again and retake the test.' Also, is there a way I can find out how many students have taken the final test.

Sorry for the long post. I do not obligate you to answer in detail, just short cues will do so I can search the relevant topic or method on my own. Also, if certain features need to be implemented programmatically (coding in PHP/database) please indicate so.

Thanks in advance for your kind support.

د درجې بندۍ اوسط:  -
In reply to Sid g

Re: Need instructions

د Frances Vevers لخوا -

Hi Sid,

I have a couple of suggestions you may find helpful.

1)You can't (or I haven't found a way) have a lesson lead directly into a quiz which is very annoying as this is a logical step.  What you can do is have an HTML link in one page of a lesson that opens the quiz or the next lesson.

2) If you use the Topic Format for the course you can have the Introduction as one topic, then what you're calling Topic 1 as another topic with your sub-topics as lessons within.  These should all display on the course page.

3) It is possible to make lessons reliant on completion of another lesson (or quiz), however I'm not sure if the two lessons have to be in the same topic or not (if you are using the Topics Format as I suggested above).  This would be something for you to test.  Making a lesson register as complete takes a bit of fiddling with settings but I do know the lesson has to contain at least one question.

4) Lessons can display a progress bar to show students how far through the lesson they are.  However as yet I have not found a way to display how far through a course a student is, there may be a way I just haven;t discovered.

5) Do you mean a message at the end of the final quiz?  If so, you can put this message in the feedback options.  You can display one message if they get 100%, another if they get 80% or above, another if they get 60% or above etc.  I think you can be alerted when students complete a quiz, I'm not sure of the top of my head where this option is but I'm fairly sure it is there.

Hope these help, good luck.

In reply to Frances Vevers

Re: Need instructions

د Joseph Rézeau لخوا -
د Core developers انځور د Particularly helpful Moodlers انځور د Plugin developers انځور د Testers انځور د Translators انځور

Hi Frances and thanks for helping Sid out... Just a few comments on your points.

1.- In Moodle, a Lesson is a self-contained activity, which contains quiz-type questions of its own. There is nothing "illogical" in its behavior. I would certainly advise against having inside a lesson a link to a quiz, as this may lead to unpredictable behavior of the lesson itself...

3.- It is not required for one Lesson to be dependent upon the completion of another that both lessons reside in the same Course Topic.

4.- There is no "progress bar" that would show a Moodle Course "progress". However, in Moodle 2.0 (the latest version available) it is possible to mark activities as "completed". See the documentation page at Course completion tracking settings.

5.- "I think you can be alerted when students complete a quiz,..." Yes, this is part of a Quiz" Permissions" settings : it's called "Get email notification of submissions" and can be switched ON or OFF by a teacher.

If I may share my experience of teaching with computers for 25 years, including teaching with Moodle for the past 6 years or so, I would advise Sid, the OP, to start with finding out what is possible to do with Moodle, rather than to start with an a priori course design and find out that Moodle cannot do what that design wants to do. Most of Sid's needs can be met by using Moodle (especially version 2.0), but Moodle is not really suitable to build "rigid" programed instruction which forces students along a pre-determined path, as you will find out...

All the best,

Joseph