problems upgrading from 1.7 to 1.8

problems upgrading from 1.7 to 1.8

by Boaz Neeman_Golan -
Number of replies: 4

I know it supposed to be easy, but I am trying to upgrade my Moodle server from 1.7 to 1.8 with no success.

I do everything by the book:

1. backup the database (sqldump)

2. download the new version (moodle_1814)

3. rename 1.7 moodle folder (old-moodle)

4. unzip and place the new moodle folder in the correct place.

5. copy config.php from the old version to the new one.

6. opening the admin page - here I see that moodle detact I am upgrading and ask me to confirm, then I get a msg " transfering data from...." and it get stuck (I left it to work for 12 hours and it did not work). no lines or tables are coming to the screen.

I am doing it on a dummy server to check the upgrade procedure before running it on the live server.

any sugestions???

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Boaz Neeman_Golan

Re: problems upgrading from 1.7 to 1.8

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You are following the correct procedure. Normally it just works.

1.8 in ancient history as far as I am concerned, but " transfering data from...." does not look like a typical Moodle output to me.

Screen shot?

(Also, it might be better to got straight for 1.9, and skip 1.8.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Boaz Neeman_Golan -

Tim thanks for your prompt response.

as I understood it is not recomanded to go from 1.7 ->1.9 without doing 1.8, unless you recommand differently.

enclosed is the screenshot of where I get stuck, it is in the begining of the proces

appriciate your help

Attachment Screenshot.jpg
In reply to Boaz Neeman_Golan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you got Debugging on?

Also, I have seen recommendations for both 1.7 -> 1.8 -> 1.9 and 1.7 -> 1.9. Nothing is inherently wrong with either path. So, if one does not work, try the other.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Boaz Neeman_Golan -

thanks for the advice. it worked, I just went stright to 1.9, and it went smooth as silksmile

Thank you again