New Block: Display Lesson Essays Feedback & Score to students

New Block: Display Lesson Essays Feedback & Score to students

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 37
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Further to this discussion, I have created a new block in order to display teacher's comments on Lesson essays (and grade) to students. This block will be available from the Modules and plugins download page, at this address (as soon as it has been approved by a moderator). If you are in a hurry to test it, here are the github repository address for a) the project and b) the download files.

At the moment the only version available is for Moodle 2.0. If there is sufficient demand I will adapt it for Moodle 1.9. Language files available for English and French. Translations for other languages are welcome: please send them to my email address (see my profile).

Please test and report any problems in this Lesson module discussion.

Joseph

PS. Attached screenshots.

Attachment 13-06-2011 15-14-12.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: New Block: Display Lesson Essays Feedback & Score to students

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Screenshot #2

Attachment 13-06-2011 15-15-10.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Janis Fair -

Hi Joseph,

This block looks good, but I'm not sure if it will address our main concern. We're on version 2.5.0 with upgrade scheduled to 2.5.3 next week.

My teachers give detailed feedback to student essay questions usually with multiple points that they would like to clearly list for the students. But when the comments are emailed out any formatting (i.e. line spaces) are lost in the process and the comments are difficult for our ESL students to decipher. 

In your block, would line spaces still appear in the comments when viewed from within the Moodle site? Your screenshot shows very short comments so I can't tell if any line spaces would be retained.

Any other suggestions for getting around this issue? Ideally, there would be a better comment box for the teachers! (...I know we should likely be using the assignment module instead but hoping to fix what we've already created!)

In reply to Janis Fair

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Janis,

Thanks for your appreciation of my "Lesson essays feedback" block. Unfortunately, the display of Graders' comments is dependent on a core Lesson issue, which I have explained in MDL-43387 Please provide a proper HTML editor for Grading essays! for which you may vote.

All I can do is to display line breaks in my block, not any other HTML formatting.sad

I have just uploaded a new version of my block, including the line breaks. (versions 2.5 and 2.6)

Joseph

by Joseph Rézeau -

Any testers out there? thoughtful

by Joseph Rézeau -

I've put a version of that block for Moodle 1.9 in the Modules and plugins database for people who want to try it on their moodle 1.9 box.

It needs to be approved, but in the meantime you can download it directly from my github repository here: rezeau/moodle19_block_lesson_essay_feedback.

Looking forward to your testing reports (in this thread).

Joseph

by António Gonçalves -

Do you have an example (link) to see how it works?

Interesting that I don't like when we put an activity, for instance a block html, in a lesson, and it appears in all pages of the lesson. I would like to do it but in only a page.

In reply to António Gonçalves

by Joseph Rézeau -

Sorry I do not have a link to a live moodle test site with this block in it. But you can download and try it out for yourself, it's really a very simple block. If you don't like you can just remove it!

Which moodle version are you using? In moodle 2.0 you can choose to place blocks where you want them.

In Moodle 1.9, this block will not appear on each Lesson page. It has nothing to do with the flow of the lesson itself. Again, it's much better if you install it and see for yourself on your own moodle test site.

Joseph

joseph

by António Gonçalves -

I'm using moodle 1.9, but my school will use 2.0 next september. I do not have admin acess to try it. Thank you any way. Bye

by Max Monclair -

I installed this and it works great. I'm currently awaiting feedback from my reviewers and will let you know if there are any issues. However, I have found none myself.

In reply to Max Monclair

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks in advance for your feedback, Max.

Which moodle version do you have?

Joseph

by Max Monclair -

I have version 2.0.4. However, this afternoon, when running through the site with my testing group, I noticed something problematic. Yesterday, I had no trouble adding essay responses from my lessons. Now, those responses are not being recorded. When I go in to grade essays, I get no new responses. The block shows responses entered before this morning, but nothing since. However, quizzes that are not part of lessons continue to work fine. Is there any way this block could be interfering with my lessons?

In reply to Max Monclair

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Max,

Sorry, I do not understand the following:

1.- "Yesterday, I had no trouble adding essay responses from my lessons."

2.- "However, quizzes that are not part of lessons continue to work fine."

In Moodle, Quiz and Lesson are two totally unrelated activities...

3.- The block can certainly not interfere with your lessons data in anyway, it only reads data that has been saved when the students take the lesson.

Joseph

by Max Monclair -

I figured out the problem with the essays and fixed them. It was a setting another site editor had inadvertently changed in the lesson activities I had posted. To address the point of confusion you bring up, *I* was a bit perplexed because the quizzes were able to add info to the db normally, but the lessons were not, leading me to think there was something up with the lesson module (as opposed to the quiz module). There was, but not the one I expected. The only change I could account for was adding the feedback block.

With that figured out, the testing group was very happy with that block.

In reply to Max Monclair

by Rachael Ayre -

I too am having trouble with grading essays in a lesson.  When I go to grade the essays tab, the comment" No essay questions found in this lesson." comes up.  However, when I click on the reports tab, I can see their responses (embedded in html code).

How were you able to get the essays to show up in the grade essays section?

Thanks!

In reply to Rachael Ayre

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Rachel,

You are mistaken, this discussion is about the (3rd-party) block I have created to enable students to re-read their essays and teacher's marks and comments.

The discussion has nothing to do with your problem. Please re-post your problem in a new discussion, stating your moodle version and any other relevant info.

Joseph

by Melinda Waffle -

Joseph - Just stumbled on this today! I plan on testing this soon.  Will let you know how it goes.

by Kirsten Finger -

We have moodle 2.0.2 Block works beautifully and realy suits our purposes.  Thanks heaps for developing it, keep up the good work.

Kirsten

In reply to Kirsten Finger

by Joseph Rézeau -

by David Emmett -

Joseph

Great work - this is almost exactly what we are looking for - we use the lesson module to train Medical students using scenarios - utilising a number of different question types - we use the essay question followed immediately by a "content" page as feedback. We dont grade the students. What I am wondering is - is it possible to put a link after each essay attempt on this block that links to the "content" page (perhaps in a popup or new window) so that students can check not only their answer but also the feedback page 

In reply to David Emmett

by Joseph Rézeau -

@David,

I'm not sure I quite understand your question. The student's essay will only appear in the Lesson Essays Feedback block once the Lesson is finished and has been submitted.

Plus that block will only display the Essay questions from a Lesson, thus it will not display your "Feedback content page".

Joseph

by Kathryn Meyers -

Joseph,

I'm making myself nuts trying to figure out why I can't see or grade any of the essays my students have written as part of a lesson I made (version 2.2).  Under grade essays, I get "No essay questions found in this lesson," but when I go to the reports tab and click on a student's info, I can see the lesson included the essays.  I'm not able to grade it in that view, however.   Do you have any advice? 

In reply to Kathryn Meyers

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Kathryn,

This is not related to my Block. You have already posted the same question in a different discussion, see my answer there.

Joseph

by Sarah Jane -

Hello Joseph

I have downloaded your block and am testing this but I have a couple of questions

1. When going into a lesson as a student I entered a few things within the lesson and left.

I entered as the teacher I could see the student had entered the lesson but not completed it. I couldnt see the work I had done.

I am assuming the work isn't shown until the entire lesson is complete is this right? Is there a way aroudn this if so? I would liek to be able to review the students work as and when the submit their work.

2. I am still not getting any emails advising the student has entered the course. I have checked the cron and thats working as I am getting the email confirmations through so that is working I have checked the 'getemailnotifications' and thats checked - can you help me to understand what I am missing.

Appreciate your help

Sarah

In reply to Sarah Jane

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Sarah,

I'm afraid your questions are not directly related to my Display Lesson Essays Feedback & Score block.

"I would like to be able to review the students work as and when the submit their work."

This is not possible.

"2. I am still not getting any emails advising the student has entered the course."

I do not see how this is related to the Lesson activity, unless by "course" you mean "lesson". And even then, I do not get what you mean.

Joseph

by Larry Turner -

This fix worked great for me on Moodle 2.2.  Thanks and appreciate your work on this.

In reply to Larry Turner

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Just downloaded this to address the fact that students can't access their lesson essary responses.

if I could make a suggestion...

Add the following code to the module:

function applicable_formats() {
return array('all'=>true);
}

this overrides the default implementation which returns "array('all'=>true, 'mods'=> false), so that you can't add it to "mod" pages

This would mean that your block could  be placed on a Lesson view page to provide access to the essay responses whilst viewing a lesson.

In reply to Michael Hughes

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks for that excellent suggestion, Michael. I have tried it and it works fine. I will certainly implement it in future versions of my block (next year).

Joseph

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Just to pitch a further extension...

If you can determine *which* mod page it has been placed on (I think something in $PAGE should tell you), then in theory the block should be able to find out which lesson's view page it's on and then only display the items for that lesson (instead of all lesson...which of course makes sense on the course page)

smile

In reply to Michael Hughes

by Diana Jackson -

Does anyone know if this block will work in Moodle 2.4???

In reply to Diana Jackson

by Joseph Rézeau -

by Diana Jackson -

Thanks Joseph! You may have just made my day!

by Joseph Rézeau -

New version available (for moodle 2.4) on my github repository here:

https://github.com/rezeau/moodle-block_lesson_essay_feedback/archive/MOODLE_24_STABLE.zip

Joseph

by Sarah Jane -

Hello Joseph,

I have uploaded the latest block_lesson_essay_feedback_moodle24_2012103100

But I noticed this message from the debugging  can you help me to sort this out please.

The block lesson_essay_feedback does not define the standard capability block/lesson_essay_feedback:addinstance

• line 598 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to debugging()
  • line 576 of /blocks/moodleblock.class.php: call to block_base->has_add_block_capability()
  • line 236 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_base->user_can_addto()
  • line 1864 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->get_addable_blocks()
  • line 1007 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_add_block_ui()
  • line 353 of /lib/blocklib.php: call to block_manager->ensure_content_created()
  • line 5 of /theme/accentuate/layout/general.php: call to block_manager->region_has_content()
  • line 807 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 737 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line ? of unknownfile: call to core_renderer->header()
  • line 234 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to call_user_func_array()
  • line 351 of /admin/renderer.php: call to plugin_renderer_base->__call()
  • line 351 of /admin/renderer.php: call to core_admin_renderer->header()
  • line 67 of /admin/plugins.php: call to core_admin_renderer->plugin_management_page()

Many thanks Sarah

In reply to Sarah Jane

by Joseph Rézeau -

Thanks for your message, Sarah. The latest version of my plugin for Moodle 2.4 is the one on my github, as I wrote in my previous message.

I will shortly make it available on the Moodle plugins directory.

Joseph

by Troy Challenger -

Joseph,

will this allow a student to review a Lesson?

Not take it again...but be able to go back through it for reviewing the content?

-troy challenger