theme requirements

theme requirements

by Andrew Golightly -
Number of replies: 7

Hi all,

Total newb with themes and moodle. So first basic question is.. in the list of themes where it, say, says

Requires: Moodle 1.9.x

Does that mean you can use this theme with any version of Moodle greater than 1.9.x or that you can only use Moodle 1.9.x with this theme? E.g. can I use a theme that says it requires Moodle 1.9.x with Moodle 2?

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Golightly

Re: theme requirements

by Chad Parmentier -

Hi,

Probably not, the theme layout and function is quite different in moodle 2.0. If Its says 1.9x it is refering to all versions of 1.9. hope this helps.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Andrew,

When moodle was updated to v2.0, themes were created in a very different way. This means that 1.9.x themes are NOT compatible with Moodle2 and visa-versa.

If you are using Moodle2 as a new user, then the first place to start would be with the core themes built into the download. Then start looking at the theme database, but make sure you are looking at Moodle2 themes (the database allows you to narrow down the search so that only these are shown).

HTH

Richard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Andrew,

It means what it says, and that is Moodle 1.9.x  Not Moodle 2.0.x or 2.1.x.

If you are starting out getting to know Moodle, then start with Moodle 2.0.3 and then upgrade to Moodle 2.1 when it come out later this month.

The themes in Moodle Themes repository are all labeled, as you have found, so when searching, just filter the search by selecting Requires: 2.0

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Happy Moodling

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andrew Golightly -

Thank you all for your responses. That does help.

To clarify again further. So I'm currently playing around with Moodle 2.0.3. If I upgrade to 2.1 later in the month, does that mean that my 2.0.x themes are probably incompatible then?

What I'm really wondering is, in development of a Moodle site, is it best not to upgrade to new versions too soon because of theme incompatabilities? Are there any best practices upgrading? I haven't looked at plugins yet, but I'm sure my question will be similar?

thanks again. This Q&A does help smile

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

The theme version differences came about because Moodle 2.0 themes are 'tableless' unlike Moodle 1.9 themes where the content was a three column table.

Moodle 1.9 theme were pretty easy to make...Moodle 2.0 on the other hand are not as easy, but far more versatile when you get into making themes. There is a lot of mix and match going on at the moment with themes. It's great fun...for those of us who 'play' about with the themes.

So to answer you question. No you do not need to worry anout upgrading now from Moodle 2.0 to 2.1 as the themes are built the same way.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andrew Golightly -

Great, thanks for the clarification Mary.

Sounds like starting with Moodle 2.0 is the best way to go then.

by Chad Parmentier -

Hi Andrew,

Um I have not checked but the themes should be fine upgrading to 2.1. You might consider setting up a development server so you can test then migrate the system over. Regarding the plugins I would stick to the ones supported by remote learner and moodle rooms as they are fairly stable. Some of the plugins are abandond and many have not been upgraded to work with m20. hope this helps.