Confusion on Naming Course Restore

Confusion on Naming Course Restore

by Nancy K Hoke -
Number of replies: 7

Greetings - I find that I am confused on the fields for Restoring a Course.  I have created courses for our Summer Term.  I wish to bring in the content from the Winter Moodle Course into the Summer Term course.  I have created my backup in the Winter course.  In the Winter Course - click Restore and begin the Process. On the main page for Course Category I can select my Summer Term category.  Why do I not have a pull down menu for the existing courses?  I do not have access to the shell I created for the Summer term course.   Am I going about this process in a wrong order? The name that is there is the name of the Winter course.  Should I begin the restore process in the Summer Term course?

Thank you so much for your help.

Course Restore

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nancy K Hoke

Re: Confusion on Naming Course Restore

by ben reynolds -

Hi  Nancy,

What you probably want to do is create a whole new course, not restore winter into a shell you've already made. So, my procedure is to, indeed, get to this stage. Select the category.

Then you get the old short name and full name. You change them to your summer short name and full name and go. A new course is created.

Remember never to do this on the front page (as so many of us have done) because  it will mess up your whole Moodle.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Nancy K Hoke -

Thanks Ben - that is very helpful.  May I please ask for a clarification on "Never Do This on Front Page" - I assume you mean on our Moodle site - only create a restore in a course?  Thanks again - Nancy K.

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by ben reynolds -

Hi Nancy,

That is correct. Be in a normal course when restoring.

If, like me, you are silly enough to put a backup in site files on the front page and do a restore without changing the category/specifying a new name, you will muck up your Moodle site.

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Steve Gilmore -

I believe that you will have to give your Summer course a new name.

Stephen Gilmore
Mathematics Department
South Piedmont Community College
4209 Old Charlotte Highway
Monroe, North Carolina 28110

704-290-5862--faculty office
980-254-2650--cell/voice mail

email:
sgil7179@students.spcc.edu
stephengilmore@usa.com

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Nancy K Hoke -

Well - DUH!  I should be using the Import function for bringing in content from one course to the new course.  Shame on me.

Nancy K. :-]

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by ben reynolds -

I've never imported a whole course, just activities and such. Tell me how it goes.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Jon Melvin -

Created new course and imported from another course.  Everything (uploaded activities, tests, test items) all came through.  Try it out on a backup restored to another server.