Custom Certificate Module - Conflict

Custom Certificate Module - Conflict

by Kevin Putman -
Number of replies: 2

I had a very specific need for the certificate module that involved being able to provide proof of the number of Continuing Education Credits a student earned for a given course or lesson. This involves being able to track the number of hours earned in one or more of seven catagories across four license levels.

I am familiar enough with php and mySQL that I was able to make the changes and my certificate works as expected. Given the custom nature of my certificate, I decided to change all 'certificate' references to 'emscertificate'. This also included changing the names of the module folders, tables, fields, and files.

Here is where my problem is now. Recently there has been numerous requests from instructors to have the ability to produce a plain ol' certificate of achievement. Since I appended the references of every CERT. CERTIFICATE, cert, and certitificate with EMS or ems, I figured that I could just install the original Certificate module. When I do that however, bad things happen. Neither module will function, I can no longer edit courses, and often times I cannot view my main page. If I uninstall or even hide one of the modules, everything works OK.

So, my lack of thorough inderstanding of what changes are made to Moodle when a module is installed is causing me to overlook something. Is this even possible to have both this custom renamed version and the original installed on the same instance? If so, can someone provide me with some insight as to what I might be overlooking?

I added a copy of the emscertificate PDF as a graphical reference to show the changes that were made.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Putman

Re: Custom Certificate Module - Conflict

by Kevin Putman -

I realize now that maybe I should have just created a custom type, and that I could still do this to create a generic certificate (and probably will). However, I removed a lot of the options from the certificate as I needed the certificate to print a certain way. In doing so, I modified the mod_form.php and lib.php files extensively. It would be easier to just install a second module versus trying to undo many of the changes I made.

In reply to Kevin Putman

Re: Custom Certificate Module - Conflict

by Wahid to Doery -
That is a good ide. As long our know that by default Certificate Module can modify/customize on each courses. You just select/unselect optional value of the form.