Being still somewaht new to Moodle, I have a few questions about roles, which are hopefully simple to answer.
Our roles requirements are somewhat different than the OOTB versions supplied. I understand I can edit the existing ones, create new ones, and even delete some of the existing roles. To that end:
- Is there any major system impact deleting a leagcy role (i.e. Course Creator)?
- If we have set each of the permissions for each role to anything except Not Set and then set each permission in Authenticated User to Prevent will this ensure each role only has the permissions we want for that role, or will it inadvertantly lock people out of being able to do things?
- I do understand that doing this means we need to ensure that each person is assigned a role for any given course, etc. within the Moodle site
- We are using LDAP authentication. Is is possible to pre-create a user in Moodle, without knowing the users password, so we can enable them in a course before they have logged into the system?
- Is is possible to granularly manage user profile fields? Since we are using LDAP, any fields that pertain to our LDAP need to be unchangeable by the user, but fields that are not in LDAP we are fine with users filling in themselves.
- Is it possible for us to modify the permissions set within Moodle (i.e. add a new permission rule, change a permission rule)?
- I'm a little fuzzy on roles at the site level vs. the course level. Obviously if I have people in the Teachers role at the site level, they have that permission when they first hit the site. Does that permission set percolate down through every course in the site, even if they are not directly assigned the Teacher role in a course?
- Is it better to manage users entirely at the course level to properly control access within courses, or is it OK to assign the roles at the site level?
- For example, if we give a person the Teacher role at the site level, but give them non-editing teacher in a course, will the Teacher role take precedence, giving them more capability than they should have?
Thx in advance for any help getting my head around this!