Diagnostic analysis and grading maximum for gradebook.

Diagnostic analysis and grading maximum for gradebook.

by Martin Flashman -
Number of replies: 5

moodle version 1.9.8

I have organized a quiz which covers several different areas and would like to be able to see subscores for the different areas.

I have done this by coding each question's value based on the topic area.

For example each question in area I is worth 1 point, area II is worth 10 points, area III is 100 points. Each area has less than 10 questions, so the resulting total score's digits gives the subscores by their placement.

Unfortunately there is a limit on the size of a score on the quizzes and the gradebook. For the grade book it seems to be 100,000. I have 6 sub areas to analyze so this is a problem. Any suggestions?

I have been able to use a base seven scoring code to overcome the limit on the quiz score, but this is still too large for the grade book and requires an external decoder (also needed with base ten- though that is simply the sum of the digits to get a total score.)

In reply to Martin Flashman

Re: Diagnostic analysis and grading maximum for gradebook.

by Guillermo Madero -

Maybe you could use decimal fractions. So one area is worth 0.1 and another 0.01. Then the remaining would be below the 100K limit.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Martin Flashman -

I tried using decimals originally, but   decimal fraction scores seem to be truncated in the Default question grade and elsewhere in creating a question or a quiz.
I have tried changing this in some settings to allow more decimals in the grade book, but this has not allowed the desired effect on the question grading.

Do you know how or where I could change this?

In reply to Martin Flashman

by Guillermo Madero -

I imagine that if the respective settings under:

Administration > Grades > Grade item settings
Administration > Grades > Report settings > Grader report

and those under the Quiz have the same number of decimals, it should work. However, I wouldn't be able to tell for sure.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Martin Flashman -

I am not an adminstrator for our Moodle, so I don't have access to these settings.

I have changed the settings that I can change to 5 decimal places and still the decimals I try to use in the quiz questions are truncated.

sad

martin