I have not quite lost the will to live

I have not quite lost the will to live

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 10

And I won't.

But my school district just adopted School Fusion. 'Cause it has wikis and stuff.

http://www.schoolfusion.com/

- Art

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: I have not quite lost the will to live

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

ooohhhhhhsad No  -don't lose the will to live. I guess the world existed before Moodle and it can exist without Moodle. It's just not quite as good a world thoughtful

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Art Lader -

True, Mary. And the same can be said of my Moodle-enhanced high school classes.

But no one has told me I cannot continue to Moodle with my kids, so I happily won't have to test out that theory.

Still, it's a bit disappointing.

- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Randy Orwin -

There are lots of schools here in the USA that use systems like School Fusion that continue to use Moodle because it still offers so much more on the teaching and learning side. Hopefully your district will see that you can continue to run both. Good luck Art!

In reply to Randy Orwin

by ben reynolds -

Art,

Is there a document about the district's choice? And is it available to the general public (i.e., us)?

I'd like to see why they (whoever "they" are) made the choice.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Art Lader -

A document? Not that I am aware of.

School Fusion seems to be making some headway in South Carolina. Maybe it's just a matter of momentum.

To tell the truth, I think Moodle had a shot in my district. I was never quite able to convince the IT folks, though. Probably my fault in the end.

- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

You can take a person out of Moodle, but you can't take Moodle out of a person.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Frankie Kam

by Art Lader -

That operation would be a moodleectomy, wouldn't it Frankie?

AFAIK it has never been succesfully done on any human anywhere.

- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Thomas Brown -

The LMS adoption committee at my former CC district (Alamo) considered Moodle, but apparently didn't know the difference between Moodle and MoodleRooms. This to me seems like a problem that Moodle needs to deal with.

The IT honcho there informed me that open-source softwares could not be adopted because of the impossibility of obtaining support. How do such clueless individuals get hired into IT jobs?

In reply to Thomas Brown

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Having been hired, sounds to me like that guy needs now to be fired - he's obviously not doing his job in maintaining a sound understanding of professional knowledge!!! No support from the open source community WOW!

Sure, open source has many small pieces of software where developers lose interest, get other jobs, take on other projects and the supprot is not there. but these are not the open source projects that big businesses or education establishments are looking at anyway! The big projects like Moodle, OpenOffice (LibreOffice) and the many big Linux distros are entirely built on community support, and ALL also have paid support options, moodle through its partners and Linux through RedHat/Canonical and others.

Beside, ever tried getting meaningful support for some of the big commercial support packages - and no I'm not bashing MS here, it's a general complaint about expensive support contracts that pass you from pillar to post and from one person to the next to try to get answers, and could just as easily apply to many of the big hardware vendors, service industry companies and others as easily as software houses. It's so prevalent that in the UK one of the banks has picked up on it for their advertising campaign trying to say 'we're not like them!'

And before I accidentally start any flame wars - yes I know there are good comercial companies out there as well, and bad support levels from opensource projects, its not a case of one's good and one's bad - If I was to say that I would be as bad as the above mentioned IT honcho smile

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)