Quiz Results block leads to scroll of death

Quiz Results block leads to scroll of death

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi.

Does anyone know how to reduce the scroll of death effect brought about by the use of the "Quiz Results" block?

I have a class of 24 students. Each time I display their results in a quiz resuls block, this increases the vertical scroll space of my moodle course page. I have at least 8 quizzes each semester. Putting 4 such blocks on the left column and 4 on the right columns is possible, but quite troublesome. What happens when the class size if 30 or 40? Another solution is not to use the Quiz Results block - but that's not what I want.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Quiz Results block leads to scroll of death

by Itamar Tzadok -

You can add the following css

<style type="text/css"><!--
.block_quiz_results .content{height:100px;overflow:auto;}
--></style>

in a label anywhere on the course main page or to the theme if you want the effect sitewide.

Change 100 to the desired block height.

hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Frankie Kam -

Itamar. You are brilliant!

I've edited my /blocks/quiz_results/styles.php to include this code:

.block_quiz_results .content
{
height:200px;
overflow:auto;
}

Here's what the block on my course page looks like now:

Thank you very much!

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Ralf Brauckhoff -

I would change the "height" to "max-height".
If you have only a small number of students, the block keeps small and is not always xxx px height.

But I have also a block with the "Checklist".
And this is also a "scroll of death" (as a teacher).

I can`t find, where to put the style Information.
Can somebody help me?

Thanks a lot.

Idoetz

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Frankie,

I had always thought that the idea of that Quiz results block was to display just a small number of the top marks, i.e. the top 2 or 4 marks in class. Certainly not all the marks, as this may be embarassing for those students with the lowest marks.

I appreciate that the public display of students' marks is a matter of educational custom, and may vary between countries and epochs.

<rant>

When I was at school, students' marks were very much made public, and so was ranking. The (pedagogic ?) idea behind this public display was to encourage the best students in their efforts and to doubly punish those with the worst results by exposing their results publicly. In our present days of "political correctness", a concept which we have (sadly) inherited in Europe from the USA, such methods are very much frowned upon.sad

</end of rant>

Joseph

PS.- Yes, Itamar is brillant.cool

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Itamar IS brilliant; I concursmile As for publicly displaying results, I know what Joseph means- I have say that to I use the quiz results block a lot (but only ever with the top 5 in a class) and it is a great way to encourage motivation; whether it is politically correct or not, they love it. On the other hand, I wouldn 't give out all the results and we are not allowed, after in-school exams, to read out the marks of the whole class to the whole class-they have to get them individually and can then choose whether to tell their friends or not.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Mary,

Maybe we should start an ITAMAR fan club.cool

Joseph

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mary and Joseph,

I've never joined a fan club, but I'd join that one.

When I've used the Quiz results block, I've put up all the results but anonymously. It was for a "placement" test with a very heterogeneous class: the results went from 12/50 to 40/50. I couldn't actually put them in groups - all 45 students were in the same group. I felt it was useful for them to see where they were level-wise in relation to the others and to realise if they were very strong or very weak the course wouldn't be a perfect fit for them. I don't know if it was because of that, but I had very few complaints about the course being too easy or too difficult.

I didn't have the scroll of death problem, because I removed it as soon as everyone had finished the test.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Joseph and Mary,

Yes thank you for pointing out the purpose of the Quiz Results block, as per political-correctness and how it should be used to not embarrass students who at the lower end of the test results. I seem to have forgotten that one. surprise

I initially started using the block that way, but one fine day I decided to show all results, with an announcement that any student who "clawed" their way up the ranking and showed a "jump" up the ladder would get a Stamp on their Stamp collection. And I did reward the students who managed to claw their way up. Out of 10 lower rung scores, only three were clawers (is there such a word). The others had their claws retracted I think.

But it was too much work using Ms Excel to calculate the best jumpers and there weren't many of them. At the same time, I'd send the lower end students encouraging messages like "keep working at it!", "don't give up", "you can do it" and the like.

But lately I've forgotten (horror of horrors) to do the counter-balancing and so due to my sins, I may have scarred some...hopefully not without redemption.

Thank you for your reminder of how to use this block with some sense of sensitivity and humanity. I'll remember this one.

Frankie Kam