Stand Alone Installation - Error 404

Stand Alone Installation - Error 404

by Carlos Salas -
Number of replies: 20

I had followed stick to the brick the instructions contained in the following documents:

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Windows_installation_using_XAMPP

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Complete_install_packages_for_Windows

Apache and MySQL services started OK, but the moodle installation did not continue.

I did it with the firewall stoped, with Windows XP, having check that the file msvcr71.dll version 7.10.352.4 were installed at the c:\xampp\htdocs\server\apache\bin 

I also uncheck the options of the AVG antivirus and QsL package at my conection.

It happened with both versions 2.0.1 and 1.9.12

Any help will be welcome

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carlos Salas

Re: Stand Alone Installation - Error 404

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Carlos,

Uninstall XAMPP and download WAMP Server and you will never look back.

XP+WAMP+MOODLE (1.9 & 2.0) go together like peaches and cream...honestly

And you don need to mess about with Firewalls.

You can get the latest version of WAMP Server HERE

And a presentation to help you install it HERE

I have been using WAMP Server on my XP machine for the best part of 2 years.

They have a good forum on their site too.

If you still want help after you install this Colin is an EXPERT as he uses it too!

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Carlos Salas -

Thanks Mary,

I did install WAMP Server.

Where did you install moodle (File Structure)?

Carlos

In reply to Carlos Salas

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Moodle 2.0

../wamp/www/moodle20/

accessed at: http://localhost/moodle20 (when you come to install)

Moodle 1.9

../wamp/www/moodle19/

accessed at: http://localhost/moodle19/

and Moodledata goes here...

../wamp/moodledata20/

../wamp/moodledata19/

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Carlos Salas -

Mary, I did what you instruct, the results are:

I wrote http://localhost/moodle20 and a directory with the next structure:  "Parent Directory" , "Start Moodle.exe" , "Stop Moodle.exe", and a "server/" directory.

I started "Start Moodle.exe", and in a black screen (DOS) appears "cannot find php.exe must abort this process.

Also in another windows screen it appears "b2e.exe has detected a problem and must close"

I the executable file  "Start Moodle.exe", from the directory c:\wamp\www\moodle, an it happened the before mentioned.

I opened http://localhost/moodle20/server/moodle/admin/index.php and click "continue", it appears then that the database has to be written in Unicode format, what I had already done.

Thanks for your patienced aid.

In reply to Carlos Salas

by Mary Evans -

Hi Carlos,

What you thought was Moodle package was Moodle for Windows which is a totaly different thing than the normal Moodle weekly version download which you will find HERE It's just an ordinary Zip file which you save to your desk top. Get that far and leave it for now. Then read the reast of what I have written.

The problem with the forum, is that people see an email and instinctively answer it without looking to see what others have written, so now we have a situation which has put you back a day, because I did not realise you had the the wrong download.

You will be totally frustrated. So for you now, because you will need to back track to to where you were after you got WAMP installed.

Just DELETE the MOODLE that you installed on the www in Wamp. That version is really a stand alone version, which is OK if you are a GEEK, it's not worth bothering with...believe me.

WAMP is tidier...neater and works without a BLACK SCREEN terminal which takes you back 20 years or so when all we had was MS DOS...come on Carlos we don't want to go there!!!

I'm in the UK...its the middle of the night. I can't stay trying to fix this now, so can we leave this until tomorrow?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jennifer Gutowsky -

Mary,

I was reading the posting you made several weeks ago to Carlos in June about using WAMP server instead of XAMPP to run Moodle as a stand alone installation. I've been trying to get XAMPP to work for the past 14 hours. I installed the 2.1 beta version of, what I thought was the complete Moodle package for using one's computer as a stand alone server. I must say I am a complete novice and know very little about the topics being discussed on this forum. I am, however, a bit desperate to get this to work as I'm up again a deadline to demo an online course on Saturday 7/16.

After the initial installation, everything seemed to check out ok - no error messages. I set up my account as the administrator and started building the class. I logged out and when I tried to login the following day, I could not (received error message "Invalid login, try again").  Course site comes up, but I can no longer edit as I can't logon as admin. I'm going in circles reading various postings and trying different things to no avail. I've even tried to uninstall in the hopes of reinstalling and cannot even do this!

I'm reluctant to take the advice you gave Carlos - intall WAMP - without uninstalling XAMPP/Apache/MySql.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

In reply to Jennifer Gutowsky

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Jennifer, then we better get started. When you initially logged in, did you give yourself an identity? You should have been prompted for an id and a password that contains no less than 8 characters, with one a capital letter, one number and one  non-aplhanumeric character. This, for me, is a complex annoyance that really needs to be reviewed - but all bow to the Gods of Security... That should also have been where you entered your id. If you cannot find it then you are going to have to cheat. There is a couple of possibilities, but they are anoyances themselves - and I have just tried them in 2.1,  they have worked in 1.9 and earlier versions, and it works in this version as well.

What you need to look for is:

1. the httpd.conf file in th eXampp folder somewhere - open it and look for "DocumentRoot" Write down the value you find there it may be something like "C:/Xampp/server/Moodle"

2. In the Moodle folder the config.php file uses some values that look like:

$cfg->dbname   = 'moodle';  // your database name inside MySQL
$cfg->dbuser   = 'root';   //a default identity for database access could be anything
$cfg->dbpass   = 'yourpasswordhere';  //your password, not mine could be harrypotter or jtkirk for all I know.

Write these values down as well.

3. Go to download PHPMyAdmin and install that. It is a simpler process than most other PHP Apps, just unzip to the DocumentRoot folder, run it by opening it in your browser and it should installand work with a minimum of fuss. It will ask for an identity and a password to open your databases with, so give it the values of dbuser and dbpass. When it is installed, that should allow you access to the Moodle database so open it by clicking on the Moodle name in the left hand collumn.

4. Scroll down to the user table. The first entry should have a user name of Guest. Following the user field,  there should be a set of numbers under the password collumn.

5. Copy those numbers, all of them.

6. Look for your identity, which may be the next one down and click on Inline Edit. Scroll over to password, and paste over the top of the password there. Click on "Save" in the same row and that should return to the earlier page with a new password in your identity. 

7. Open your Moodle and put in your identiry and the password of guest. You should now have access.

I know this seems complicated, but it is not really, just annoyingly fiddly. Slow and steady here, and one step at a time. Someone else may have a better idea but this is the only one that seems to work in this circumstance.  You may also remember the password when you see what identity you used, in which case try it. If it works then keep going, if not then come back to this. Good luck...

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jennifer Gutowsky -

I'm not sure what you mean by giving myself an identity, so perhaps I didn't. In the installation process, I set myself up as the admin and entered the password with 8 characters, 1 capital and one character.  At this point, I'm questioning everything I do, so it's quite possible I'm not entering it correctly.

I appreciate the detailed information, however I didn't get very far. I was unable to locate a folder anywhere called eXampp on my computer. I tried looking for Xampp as well, but the only file inside was a txt files containing a license.  

I found config.php and there were was nothing listed for the password. I'm attaching a copy of it. I didn't go any further because I didn't have the information for dbpass.  Any suggestions?  Does the information look correct in this file? I'm almost ready to scrap this and purchase something to use! 

Jennifer

by Mary Evans -

Hi Jennifer,

Now you know why I suggested to Carlos to use WAMP.

The documentation from XAMPP is outdated and from what I have just read is totally misleading.

I'm surprised you got this far.  I would have given up in dispare.

Also...I am not sure if you installed the correct Moodle package in the first place.

There are various Standard Moodle packages, as well as Moodle for Windows & Moodle for Mac's.

What you should have downloaded is the STANDARD Weekly download of Moodle_stable (1.9.x or 2.x.x) depending on what you know about Moodle versions.

With Moodle for Windows: if you use Windows (XP, Vista, Win7) you do not need Xampp as this comes with the download.

If you have installed 'Moodle for Windows' on Xampp then this is where your downfall will be. If this is what you have, then technically you have installed a server within a server.

So first things first; delete the Moodle folder out of the Xampp htdocs directory. And install in in it's place a standard package of Moodle, which you will find HERE

You will then need to create a database. If you did not do this before then that's OK as nothing has been spoilt. The hardest thing now will be keeping calm and not panicing.

I'll wait until you reply to this as the next step needs some documentation which I will go and find for you.

If what I suspect is true, and you delete the Moodle from the Xampp, and add a fresh Standard copy of Moodle, then I would say you are about 1 hour away from getting started with your new instalation, when we get it going.

HTH

Mary

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Colin Fraser -

Ahh now I can see what Mary is suggesting, and would urge you to follow what she is suggesting carefully. As long as you install the Moodle into the right folder, then it will work. Do not despair... Good luck...

EDIT: btw.. sorry but eXampp was a typo if you cannot find the Xamp folder then somewhere on your computer is a folder called conf and in there is a file called httpd.conf. Everything will be connected from there... If you have no folder called conf and no httpd.conf file, then look for a folder called "wwwroot" and this will probably be where your Moodle is, or rather, should be.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jennifer Gutowsky -

Colin,

Thanks for the reply. After deleting my existing Moodle folder and reinstalling the software, it worked like a charm.  If only I'd done that first!  I was reluctant to do so because of several postings I read about problems uninstalling Moodle.  I'm sure to more experienced users, cleaning files out of the registry may not be a big deal, but that would open another can of worms for me. 

Thanks for your help.

Jennifer

by Colin Fraser -

As long as you got it working that is the main thing. Sorry, but I sometimes forget that other people are not tinkerers like me so if what I suggest is not clear, then don't stress over it, just say so and I am usually able to scale it back. Cheers...

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jennifer Gutowsky -

Mary,

Thank you! I did as you said and once I downloaded the weekly Moodle download and went through the installation process, it worked just fine.  

I don't know if this has anything to do with what my problem was, but I will put it out there. As I previously mentioned, I was able to login as the admin once and begin building my course; however upon logging back in, was unable to do so. Looking back, I'm positive I did not "stop moodle", which I assume serves a vital function? 

Regardless, I'm good to go and am very pleased. Thanks for your help.

Jennifer 

by Carlos Salas -

Hi Jennifer,

Due to some other issues, I arrived later to encourage you to follow Mary's suggestions, really they were invaluable for me to get used with moodle.

I hope you continue further,

Carlos

In reply to Carlos Salas

by Guillermo Madero -

I do agree with Mary, forget about xamp.

Anyway, when the installation stopped, did you get any message? At what point of the process did it stop?

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Carlos Salas -

Thanks Guillermo, I will install xamp, install WampServer and continue the forum suggestions.

In reply to Carlos Salas

by Guillermo Madero -
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Carlos Salas -

Thanks Guillermo,

In order to not "overstack" my brain buffer, for the time being I am following the kindly detailed instructions of Mary, for and old and non geek dummy. 

I Will share my experience, the troubles and the success (I hope the last will happen eventually).

Carlos

In reply to Carlos Salas

by Mary Evans -

Hi Carlos,

Have you got any nearer with the install?

Mary