Installation problem - unicode must be installed and enabled

Installation problem - unicode must be installed and enabled

by Sree Golla -
Number of replies: 15

Hi,

I am trying to install Moodle 2.03+ on Linux having PHP 5.2.9 and Oracle 10g, I am getting the following error as a part of Server checks.

unicode - must be installed and enabled(it is required that you store all your data in Unicode format (UTF-8). New installations must be performed into databases that have their default character set as Unicode. If you are upgrading, you should perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page).)

I would really appreciate if you can provide some suggestion(s) to resolve this error.

Thank you in advance.

Sri

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sree Golla

Re: Installation problem - unicode must be installed and enabled

by Matthew Dumont -

Go into PHPMyAdmin, go into your database, click Operations and change collation to utf8_general_ci... that fixed this problem for me anyway.

In reply to Matthew Dumont

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Not in Oracle it won't sad

I know nothing about Oracle but the problem is almost certainly the character set of the database (or something closely related to it). Probably an issue when the database was created.
In reply to Matthew Dumont

by Sree Golla -

I am not using MySQL, but, Oracle 10g.

Any ideas on how to change the settings in Oracle to fix this issue?

In reply to Sree Golla

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Do you *have* to use Oracle? It is theoretically supported but not commonly used. I would strongly advise sticking to MySQL or PostgreSQL if you can. We can give you help with those too smile
In reply to Howard Miller

by Sree Golla -

Not really. Initially we tried to intsall Moodle with MySQL, since it was throwing the error below, then we decided to go with Oracle.

I really appreciate your help.

Error: database driver problem detected

The site administrator should verify server configuration

PHP has not been properly configured with the MySQLi extension so that it can communicate with MySQL. Please check your php.ini file or recompile PHP. MySQLi extension is not available for PHP 4.

In reply to Sree Golla

by Howard Miller -
Well.... exactly what the message says. You don't have the driver installed for MySQL(i).

I don't imagine you would have had the driver for Oracle by default either wink

You don't say what Linux it is, but on Ubunto/Debian it would just be

sudo apt-get install php5-mysql

by Sree Golla -

Oh yeah, that's right.

I was told that Our PHP build supports the native mysql client drivers and I was asked to see if I could get it to work without mysqli...

Is it possible to get it work without mysqli??

We are using redhat linux enterprise.

In reply to Sree Golla

by Howard Miller -
No.

I'm surprised.... mysqli has been around and stable for years. From PHP 5.3.0 it is the *native* mysql driver.

by Sree Golla -

That's sad.

So the only option that is left is Oracle.

Any idea on how to fix that Oracle issue(unicode...) that I was talking about?

In reply to Sree Golla

by Howard Miller -
Not me, sorry.

Long wait for some Oracle expertise starts wink

by Sree Golla -

Thanks Howard. That's ok..

In reply to Sree Golla

by Simon Cole -

On Oracle, if it turns out your database character set is wrong...

First, you need to run the 'csscan' utility (in $ORACLE_HOME/bin) to check whether you've got characters in your database that would be affected by a character set change. If you have, you need to deal with them yourself - there's no 'magic wand'!

Once you've verified this is okay... you can change the character set of an Oracle database with an

ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET <new character set>;

So in your case, you'd *probably* want to do:

ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET AL32UTF8;

As you're (probably) changing from a character set that is a subset of UTF8, then you shouldn't hit too many problems.

By far the safest method is to do a full (datapump) export, (re)create a new database with the correct character set, and then re-import.

A longwinded process indeed, but it does ensure that you only make this mistake once smile

PS: Please make sure that you know what you're doing before you change character sets! And if it's live - backup! backup! backup!

In reply to Sree Golla

by Guillermo Madero -

You might want to delete and then create the DB with the database character set option set as AL32UTF8 (recommended) or UTF8:
CHARACTER SET AL32UTF8.

You should also define the National character set as UTF8:
NATIONAL CHARACTER SET UTF8.

If you want, you could first try to convert it:
ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET AL32UTF8;
ALTER DATABASE NATIONAL CHARACTER SET UTF8;

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Installing_Oracle_for_PHP

Hope this helps.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Sree Golla -

Hi Guillermo, I will give it a try.

In reply to Sree Golla

by eric yullu -
Picture of Testers

for moodle 2.0.3 to work you must configure database to utf format specifically utf_unicode_uni for it to configure the database.