Conditional activities: Completion tracking issue MDL-26778

Conditional activities: Completion tracking issue MDL-26778

by Andre Kruger -
Number of replies: 9

Does anybody know when the fix for the bug MDL-26778 will be included in the Weekly Stable builds or when Moodle version 2.0.4 will be released as the bug reports says it will be fixed in this version. Our problem is that we have used this feature extensively on our new courses and this feature used to work correctly until we upgraded to version 2.0.3, now have had to ask our students to refresh their browser before they are able to see the next activity. (When restrict access options was used based on the previous activity or file download).

Or if anybody knows a temporary solution or fix that I can implement myself, will alo be great! smile I tried the latest build but this still seems to have the issue.

This is the issue explained in more detail:

• We have students downloading course notes (PDF File), with Activity Completion Tracking enabled: Will complete when the students views the document.
  • The Next set of documents or tests (SCORM) will then be visible when the above document has been set as completed.

This now does not happen automatically until the page is refreshed.

Thanks

Andre

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andre Kruger

Re: Conditional activities: Completion tracking issue MDL-26778

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Andrew - It looks like those changes were made around May 5th. Feel free to comment on the issue to see if it either needs to be re-opened or whether it may be a separate or new issue. Peace - Anthony

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Andre Kruger -

Thanks Anthony, I will re-install my development site today and make sure I use the latest build. I will then try the configuration again and provided feedback. Where do I post the issue if the bug is still not fixed, in this post or is there another place to post a bug?

Thanks for your quick repsonse!

Andre

In reply to Andre Kruger

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Andre,

I am pretty sure any changes in 2.0.3 did not make it worse in this regard (i.e. the problem in the listed bug, and any similar problems, were in original 2.0 as well).

The file download issue is a slightly different one to the one mentioned. The other one was about viewing pages. With file downloads, depending on settings you may not even go to a separate page which may mean it is unable (using the normal mechanism) to update completion tickboxes on the page that the user is looking at.

You may be able to minimise this problem if you set the file option that means it opens a new page in the browser instead of downloading immediately. That way at least once students return to the course page, the extra options will be there.

If this problem does occur as expected, please file it (complete with minimal steps as to how to set up a new course to reproduce it) as a new bug using the Moodle Tracker. (In general when there is a problem and it maybe relates to a bug that was already fixed - you should file a new bug and not add to or reopen the old one.) You might also want to add a comment to the old bug, giving the number of your new bug, since it is a related problem and that might help people locate the new bug.

I am not sure exactly how to fix it but it should probably be possible (most likely by adding some javascript that causes it to reload the page after downloading the file) so if you file a bug I'll take a look.

--sam

In reply to sam marshall

by Andre Kruger -

Thanks Sam, I will setup a course again and provided all the details in the bug. It would be great if we can add some Javascript to refresh the page once the file download is clicked as this will definitely then enable the next content. Would a fix like this be included in a general Moodle release or would I have to included in in my own code? Maybe not all Moodle users would like such a feature?

Thanks for your help! The Moodle community is really one of the best communities I have encountered.

In reply to Andre Kruger

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

smile

Assuming the fix can be done (there might be some catch! I'm not quite 100% confident about this) then it would happen as part of a general Moodle update.

--sam

In reply to Andre Kruger

by Daniel Wright -

Hi Andre - we are encountering the same problem (or at least similar) and would definitely like to see this addressed as well.  We have Moodle installed in a corporate setting where employees take self-paced courses for various types of mandatory and optional training.  Some coures are set up to follow a strict sequence using the restrict access and activity completion settings.

Whenever a file resource is set to load in a pop-up or new window, the course outline page does not automatically refresh to indicate that it has been viewed, and this prevents users from moving to the next item in the course.  Unfortunately, most users don't understand that they can simply refresh the page to remedy the problem.

I have a developer looking at this today.  I don't know if he will be able to find a good way to fix this, but I will be happy to share whatever we learn.

Thanks,
Dan

In reply to Daniel Wright

by Andre Kruger -

Thanks Dan. The Moodle community is really great! Just to let you know that the Moodle Dev team is looking at this issue and I'm sure it will be released as part of the core. I don't think it will make it into V2.1 but hopefully soon afterwards.

Thanks

Andre

In reply to Daniel Wright

by Andre Kruger -

Hi Daniel, just wanted to check if you ever managed to get a fix for this issue, as I see the Moodle team never released a fix. Thanks Andre