Moodle 2.0 Quiz Grades not showing in Gradebook

Moodle 2.0 Quiz Grades not showing in Gradebook

by L McCann -
Number of replies: 17

I hope someone can please help or comment. I have over 500 users taking quizzes and their grades are not being entered into the grade book. We tested thoroughly so do not know why this is happening.

Apache on Ubuntu Linux, MySQL back end.

When users take the quiz, it shows their screenshot results in the Reports/Logs for the course - so the engine is scoring the results (attached screenshot). In the database, it writes the attempt to the Quiz attempt table. For whatever reason, however, it is not writing the grades to the Quiz grades table. Also, I created a new quiz in a new category and course and these are also not showing grades in the gradebook.

I have flushed the quiz grades table, rebooted the server, restarted the cron, apache, and mysql. I have checked if there are any hidden grades and there are none.  The gradebook is set to view to the students and I have full Admin rights.

Can anyone help?!! Anyone have any suggestions of a workaround or something to try?  I have tried everything I can think of.

Linda

Attachment 6-2-2011 10-18-11 AM.png
In reply to L McCann

Re: Moodle 2.0 Quiz Grades not showing in Gradebook

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Linda,

Do you mean that you do not have a column for the quiz grade in the gradebook at all, or do you have a column, but the grades are not "pushed" there? Do students apper in the gradebook?
Can you pelase make a screenshot of both the grader report and categories and items interface?

What is your exact Moodle version?

Please also double-check what roles and permissions your students have in the course and installation (e.g. they should be "graded" roles)

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by L McCann -

Thank you for responding, Elena.

>>>Do you mean that you do not have a column for the quiz grade in the gradebook at all, or do you have a column, but the grades are not "pushed" there?

Yes, the columns and students appear in the grade book but they are not being "pushed" there. Additionally, I am not seeing grades for the quizzes in the mdl_quiz_grades table. sad     However, the data from the attempts is being written to the mdl_quiz_attempt table.

Also, I am seeing that this is occuring for all classes now. None of the grades are being pushed to the report. The database is not being updated.

>>>Do students apper in the gradebook?

Yes they are all there by cohort assignment.

>>>>What is your exact Moodle version?

Moodle 2.0.1+ (Build: 20110112)

Attached grader report and categories and items interface as you requested. The grade that appears in the grader report is one I added manually.  (THANK YOU for your response).

Linda

Attachment 6-2-2011 2-48-09 PM.png
In reply to L McCann

by Elena Ivanova -

hm, in your screenshot we can see that one student actually got a grade "pushed" for the first quiz.
Can you take a look how is he different from others in the first quiz?(was it timing, permissions/role that he has?

Have other students attempted that first quiz, or only the second one?
(Wild guess - Categories and items  have you second quiz with weight = 0. There is a possibility that your Moodle version is not liking that).

Do you have a dev environment which you can upgrade to a newer  versaion and see if the issue can be replicated there?

I wish I would be able to comment more technically (on tables, etc). But I do not have enough background in the area.

In reply to L McCann

by Lynn Harvey -

Was there a solution to this issue?

I am using Moodle 2.2.1+
and, site wide, none of the quizzes are displaying their results in gradebook.
I have checked all settings and they are default.

In reply to Lynn Harvey

by Lynn Harvey -

We urgently need help with this.

In trying to solve the problem we created a blank moodle and added one course and one quiz,
completed the quiz and when viewing the grades after submitting we get the error below
there are no apache errors and no page errors except for this one which appears in developer debug mode

in Developer debug mode

XML Parsing Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </body>.
http://web3.porthackin-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/moodle/grade/report/grader/index.php?id=2
Line Number 360, Column 3:

</div> <!-- END #page -->
--^

we have no idea what that means

Moodle 2.2.1+
PHP 5.3.6-13ubuntu3.6 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Feb 11 2012 03:26:01)
Apache 2.2.1
Ubuntu Server 11.10

In reply to Lynn Harvey

by Lynn Harvey -

solved by resetting student permissions to default

In reply to Lynn Harvey

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Thanks for posting this - and the solution.

We had the same thing happen to us in an upgrade from 1.9.12 to 2.2.3, where some of the permissions relating to Grader and Quiz for the Student role had been altered in the past.

We reset the default and it worked. We had to allow testers an extra attempt on the quiz and those came over into the gradebook normally.

In reply to Elena Ivanova

by L McCann -

>>>Please also double-check what roles and permissions your students have in the course and installation (e.g. they should be "graded" roles)

I do not see where this is at in Moodle 2.0.  Can you point me to the right menu?

In reply to L McCann

by Elena Ivanova -

For the whole installation, take a look at Site Administration > grades > general settings > graded role area

Though it does not seem to be an issue here ( they would be missing from the gradebook then)

In reply to L McCann

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry to wake from the dead an old thread. I had this problem yesterday with a site I was working on and this thread came up on all the searches. It came close but did not contain the specific cause of, or solution to, the problem I had.

So in the hope that it might save someone else who has the same problem a few hours, here it is.

If your students have the /mod/quiz:preview capability, they will be able to preview quizzes, in the same way a teacher can. But possessing this capability prevents them from "really" attempting quizzes. All attempts will be previews and so not entered in the gradebook. 

The reason the suggestion elsewhere in this thread to reset the student role's permissions worked, was probably because the student role had inadvertantly been assigned the mod/quiz:preview capability.

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Capabilities/mod/quiz:preview

So if you think this is the case go to:

Site Administration->Users->Permissions->Define Roles and click on "Student" in the (default) Manage Roles tab.

Type into the filter text box.

mod/quiz:preview

If it displays and is set to "Allow" then your students quiz attempts will not be entered into the gradebook. That is probably not what you want, so you can click on the edit tab on the same page and uncheck "Allow"

Hope it helps someone.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Paul Nicholls -

We've had a similar situation arise a couple of times: we have an "observer" role which allows the user to view content but not interact.  In a couple of cases, a lecturer has assigned this role to a student to allow them access before their enrolment has officially been processed, and didn't remove it later - so the students did practice attempts instead of real ones.

If caught early enough that the preview attempt is still in the database (and you have direct DB access), you can turn it into a "real" attempt easily enough - but preview attempts can be automatically purged for a few reasons, so it needs to be caught early for that to be an option.

In reply to Paul Nicholls

by Saša Bradić -

I just had the same problem. Student had a grade in quiz activity but not in course grades. The reason this happened is that the student unenrolled from the course after he finished quiz and later he enrolled the quiz again. I checked report for user activity on course. Simple smile

In reply to Saša Bradić

by François Lizotte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I confirm. We just ran in the same problem today.

It is true for quizzes and assignments.

To get the grade back for an assignment, you have to go back to grading and save each grade again.

François

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Mahesh Babu Telakula Sathyan -

Hi Justin,

This came as a blessing.

I am not sure how we had the student role setup for preview of a quiz.  Thanks a ton!

In reply to L McCann

by Abhishek Sinha -

We have added a Quiz with a course but quiz is not showing for user. it is only showing for admin. Please help me. 

In reply to Abhishek Sinha

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Either it or the section it is in is hidden - or you have a restriction setting that is not allowing it to be visible yet.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Abhishek Sinha -

It is happening only for one course, in other course it is working fine