Lesson 'Essay Question' Feedback for Students

Lesson 'Essay Question' Feedback for Students

por Scott Goode -
Number of replies: 4

Is it in the works to have student access to see the comments that teachers make on the Essay Type questions in the Lesson module?

Background: When working with the lesson module, my students have no ability to receive feedback on the essay questions outside of the 'email' option.  And since many of them don't have access to email, it makes it difficult to give feedback of reasons why they might have received partial or no credit on a response. This results in the students never receiving specific individualized feedback but just general classroom feedback as I reteach a concept that 'a majority' of them missed.

Ive been trying to work back and forth between the quiz module where students can look at individualized comments that I have made on their short answers and the lesson module where I can drive students along a path of learning, but this becomes a bit annoying as the lack of consistency between the two formats and the goals for what I want them to accomplish....  IE, it would be great if the students could click on the lesson after completed and see a report which has their answers and teacher responses, even if just for the essay type questions.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Scott Goode

Re: Lesson 'Essay Question' Feedback for Students

por Joseph Rézeau -
Imaxe de Core developers Imaxe de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imaxe de Plugin developers Imaxe de Testers Imaxe de Translators

Scott "And since many of them don't have access to email..." I'm surprised ; I thought that for students to be registered on a moodle site (and enroled in courses) a valid email address was needed...

Other than that I agree that it's a pity that no feedback can be provided to students on their Lesson essays other than by the email that is sent out by teachers upon correcting the essays.

The "philosophy" and ergonomics of the Quiz and the Lesson modules in Moodle are totally different and cannot be compared. Both have their advantages and drawbacks and it is not possible to have the advantages of both - unfortunately.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

por Scott Goode -

As many students that do have email accounts, it has surprised me that many kids/students don't have email accounts (or that have accounts and don't check because they use facebook to 'email' friends).  This is true even given such close integration of technology with the younger generations of learners! In fact, I would argue that I think we might see a pattern of not having email possibly grow with increased cell phone and texting usage (email is soooo passe these days) and social networking where email and chat is integrated into the user experience!

And even those students that do have a personal email, there's no guarantee of them actually reading a "school" email for feedback or that they actually received the email or that they save the email for future reference like studying for finals.  Besides, I think that a lot of reliance on student independence with reading email feedback (especially in an 'at risk' population) goes against the constructivist and active learning and collaborative approach that moodle actually facilitates.

So for those kids with no email or no personal computer access, we give them the structure of using online tools and learning by using in class school computers and laptops, after school computer labs, and the school library, etc.   In our moodle site, we then simply default those student emails to be something like noemail@ourdomain.com.  And then we just administratively enroll students into classes.  We then give the students planned time to use the internet for their learning.

And certainly there is no arguing the differences between lesson and quiz and the reasons you would want to do each....  I just was hoping that it was in the plans to allow students some online feedback of lessons without relying on email.

In reply to Scott Goode

por Joseph Rézeau -
Imaxe de Core developers Imaxe de Particularly helpful Moodlers Imaxe de Plugin developers Imaxe de Testers Imaxe de Translators

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I understand that - in your situation - you are actually using Moodle more as an "on site" facility (providing computer access on the school premises) than as a "distance learning" system.

I quite agree that there should be within the Lesson activity a feature to provide teacher feedback for the Essay question type that students could easily look up without resorting to e-mail messaging.

Maybe some developer will come up with that feature some time in the future.

ATB

Joseph

Average of ratings:Useful (1)