2 versions of moodle

2 versions of moodle

by Carlos Sousa -
Number of replies: 9

Hi. Is possible to install 2 diferent versions of moodle in the same computer (localhost)?

TY

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carlos Sousa

Re: 2 versions of moodle

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, but you have to do it manually.

Well, you can use the complete install pack for Windows/Mac to get the first one going, which is an easy way to get all the prerequisites, but then you need to install the other yourself: Installing_Moodle#Setting-up_your_web_server.

For example, with the Mac package, which I have here. The complete install package puts the first copy of Moodle into /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/data/moodle20, and /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/moodle20.

You can download Moodle 1.9 and put it in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/moodle19, and create an empty /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/data/moodle19 folder and give apache permission to write files there, and then use phpmyadmin to create a new database, and then you are ready to run the installer.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Carlos Sousa -

Thank you Tim for your reply. I'm sorry I should poit out my OS (Ubuntu 11.04) but it's quite the same! smile

Another litle question: How to choose the second database? My first one is called moodle doesn't the second installation grab that DB by default?

TY, C.S.

In reply to Carlos Sousa

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

When you install Moodle, you create a config.php file (or the installer creates it for you). That gives the name of the moodledata folder and the database. So, all that matters is that the database name you put in the config.php file matches the name of the database you create.

Actually, you don't need to create a separate database, because Moodle can put a certain prefix at the start of every table name. Traditionally mdl_ is used, but you could use one database with prefixes m19_, m20_. However, it is probably better to use different databases if you can.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Carlos Sousa -

Hi Tim. Many thanks. I did it and the 1.9 is working! smile

I intend to uninstall it when the version 2 were able to restaure 1.9 courses!

Ty, C.S.

In reply to Carlos Sousa

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have three Moodles running on local host.

Moodle 1.8

Moodle 1.9

Moodle 2.0

I have three sepearate Databases mood18 ; mood19 ; and mood20

I treat each one as a seperate unit, but they are all on the same platform -

OS = WindowsXP

Server = WAMP Server (Apache/PHP/MySQL)

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jeffrey Jones -

How about SSO between them all? That's the question I asked in another thread, never got a response...

I'm running Windows Server 2008, AMP all installed by hand, looking to run 1.9.12 and 2.0

In reply to Jeffrey Jones

by Iñaki Arenaza -
No problem with that either. As long as they have a different URL, you should be able to SSO between them as usual.

Saludos.
Iñaki.
In reply to Carlos Sousa

by Guillermo Madero -

It is very easy to do this:

1. Use a different Moodle installation folder (e.g. moodle2).

To avoid overwriting your current installation, you should:

a) Unpack your moodle zipped file into a temporary folder.
b) Rename the newly created "moodle" folder as "moodle2".
c) And then move this moodle2 folder to your document root directory (like web/moodle2).

2. Use a differente Moodle data folder (e.g. moodledata2).

3. Use a different Moodle database (e.g. moodledb2).