using NUKblock as moodle block?

using NUKblock as moodle block?

deur Mohannad AlKayem -
Getal antwoorde: 2

How can I change dictionary block (or module) for (http://phpnuke.org/) to use it in moodle?anybody has any idea about it?

Gemiddeld van beoordelings: -
In antwoord op Mohannad AlKayem

Re: using NUKblock as moodle block?

deur W Page -
Hi Mohannad!

I was also wondering about trying to get that block to work with Moodle.  I had to alter the database part of the script on another website in order to get the data to load into the database because it is so large.  I can [if I can locate it], offer that.  Just needs a few fields in a dictionary table, if I remember correctly.

I have not had a chance to investigate JP's instructions on creating a new block for Moodle, but, that may also be helpful.

I hope you can get some help on this.  It would be a good block to have even if it is considered as a addon and not in the standard release.

Also, I think it is actually offered in a few ways - Dictionary Search Module, Dictionary Search Block, Block with a new word and definition displayed with each refresh and a dictionary game.

In the meantime, I will look for the install database script I created.

WP1
In antwoord op W Page

Dictionary block ?

deur Jan Dierckx -
Hi,

I had a look at the code for the dictionary block. PHPMyAdmin refused to install the file (even after zipping it) perhaps because it was too big. I'm afraid this large database will really slow down the display of the block hartseer especially since the block doesn't cache the output: for every pagevisit the block counts the number of words in the database (why? there is no way to add word to the list, so the number could as wel be calculated once and then stored) and then selects a random one.

Some suggestions:
  • Google lists some nice rssfeeds which display a word of the day. You could use the newsfeed block to display one each day. (The newsfeed block caches so it will not slow down the display of the course page)
  • If you want to have the search functionality without importing the complete dictionary, you can copy code inside your block to produce a form which links to an external dictionary when students enter a word. (Look at the Google search block or the Wikipedia block)
  • If you really want to use the Gutenberg Project dictionary, I think I may have a solution to import it in the glossary module. Then you can use the glossary search function and it is easier to (make students) add own words to the glossary. You can use the glossary random block to display a new word every day / every pagevisit / always the last added word / etc...