Docs 2 are getting ready quietly in the background http://docs2.moodle.org/ and we will very soon invite contributors from Moodle community to improve them.
You may notice a few changes:
- Docs 2 is a separate wiki from the current Moodle Docs.
- There are no more separate Admin and Teacher pages. They have been merged into User Docs. Developer Docs will be a separate wiki.
- User Docs are now (visually) organised on the main page and accompanying Table of Contents like a manual. The pages listed are not the only pages in Docs, of course, but they are key pages that provide easier browsing, searching and editing of Docs.
- Docs 2 are/will be Moodle 2.0 specific. The aim is to refer ONLY to items in Moodle 2.0 and disregard documentation about options in previous versions. For this purpose, many pages will need to be 'cleaned up' and a few new ones created. To make this task easier for contributors, we have scoured the existing Docs and provided a list of (useful) existing pages and what needs to be done to bring them up to Docs 2 standard.
- We have changed a number of templates (boxes on the right hand side of articles), which now form the structure you see on the Main Page and Table of Contents.
- A number of templates have been standardised. For example, all activities have the following template:
[Activity] settings - Everything related to BEFORE the activity is open to participants. First steps of creation and equivalent of clicking 'edit settings' (including permissions).
Building [Activity] - (Database, Lesson, Quiz, Feedback only). Everything related to building the activity AFTER the initial setup and BEFORE it is opened to participants.
Using [Activity] - Everything AFTER the activity is open to participants. Things like (if available) viewing, posting, grading, results, analysis, reports, good practices, creative uses, examples, pedagogical implications etc.
[Activity] FAQ - self-explanatory...
- Existing pages have been preserved as much as possible to maintain links and keep the history of contributions. Some have been moved and redirected appropriately.
Still to do:
- Complete inserting templates on all related/useful pages and adjust instructions to editors accordingly.
- Improve the look of Main Page (only temporary, but gives you an idea...).
- Check (and change if necessary) the page links in Moodle to appropriate Moodle Docs.
- Create/re-organise/clean up the content of pages (all activities and resources plus a few clearly missing pages pages a priority)
- (Re)categorise pages related to a particular activity (resource, feature...)
We are hoping to start testing new Docs (particularly the links pages in Moodle itself) by mid June but will be opening them to contributors to create/clean-up content shortly. Will announce!
Each major Moodle version will have its own Docs (2.0, 2.1 ...), which will be a clone of the previous version but adjusted for things new and perhaps obsolete in the current version. Depending on the version, Moodle itself will point to the appropriate version of Docs.
I hope this sheds some light on the progress of the project.