Support unicode?

Support unicode?

by khanh luu -
Number of replies: 6

First of all, I would like to thank you the developer for providing this wonderful tool to all the teachers as a free product. I wish I could donate in anyway, but I am currently a student who just came by this website out of curiosity. I wish you the best of luck.

Second, I was wondering if this software support unicode. It seem that I can type unicode, but when submitted to display on the webpage, it did not display correctly. I hope you could look into this matter if possible since I know your time is valuable.

Once again, thank you.

Kenny

Average of ratings: -
In reply to khanh luu

Re: Support unicode?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
→ Yes, it should support unicode without any problems. ←

You may have to change the display encoding in your browser to override Moodle's suggested encoding tag (which is set as part of the default language chosen by the administrator or user). If you are writing a new language pack, then you have to specify the correct character encoding.

eg if the site language is English, then Moodle pages have a tag that tells the browser the pages are using the 'Western European' character set iso-8859-1.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by khanh luu -

Thank you for a quick reply, but I spent sometime on looking at the language pack and I did change the character set to unicode which is UTF-8 but it still didn't display correctly. One question that may solve the problem may be what is the default font? How do we change the default font. Thank you.

Kenny

In reply to khanh luu

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ah, yes, that makes sense - good point!

You need to edit styles.css in the current theme you've selected (or made) and change the fonts in there. eg:
theme/standard/styles.css

To make new themes just copy any of the directories in "theme" to a new directory there.

Style support generally is currently pretty weak in Moodle 1.0.6, but this is a big focus for improvement in Moodle 1.0.7, in which the whole system will be overhauled with full CSS support.

by khanh luu -
Well thank you for your generous support. When I change the default font to arial, then the unicode display correctly. So once again. Thank you.

by Ahmed Nabil -

Hi,

How can I change character set from iso-8859-1 to any other character set ?

Thanks

Ana

In reply to Ahmed Nabil

by Martin Dougiamas -
You edit the language pack for your language and change the value for "thischarset" in moodle.php

If you're working on a new language pack perhaps you should post in the languages forum.

Cheers!