Moodle 2 quiz future development

Moodle 2 quiz future development

by Astrid Davine -
Number of replies: 14

If a student answers a free text (essay) question, will it be possible to display feedback on submission of the answer?

We don't want students to be able to submit if the field is empty.

The answer may not be marked, therefore there may be no grading involved.  However, we would like students to be able to progress (to another question, quiz or content) once the answer has been submitted and the feedback has been displayed.

We would also like 'Submitted' (or something similiar) to be recorded in the Grade Book.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Astrid Davine

Re: Moodle 2 quiz future development

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In 2.1:

1. Yes to feedback immediately on submission.

2. We cannot prevent student from clicking 'Submit all and finish' before answering all questions, but the new summary page in 2.0 makes it clear to students which questions they have answered before they submit.

3. Surely this works already?

4. This one is tricky and more a gradebook thing than a quiz thing.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Seaman -

Hi Tim:  I'm not sure I'm raising a quiz issue, but I see an opportunity for questioning to support learning by allowing the teacher to embed a short quiz in an HTML page itself, so the student doesn't have to click onto a separate quiz page. (I'll admit right here that I've not been keeping up with developments in Moodle 2.0 - still using 1.9 - so maybe this development has already happened.) Also I know the lesson module can do something similar - provide a text box for an answer and automate feedback. And I've coded a page using HTML and PHP to do the same thing.  Seems as though the ability to embed questions on a page is a feature of SoftChalk (and probably other applications), so I'm wondering if anyone at Moodle is thinking about it also. I remember what Martin said at the San Francisco Moot in 2008 about questions being the basis for learning, and I think he's right. Thanks again for all of the good work you do!  -  Peter

In reply to Peter Seaman

by John Rodgers -

To acheive this I have used description questions to provide html content, then they are easilt placed in-line in the quiz..

In reply to John Rodgers

by Peter Seaman -

That's a good idea, John - basically make the question stem into a "presentation" space.  It works, but it does to a certain extent run afoul of Moodle's distinction between resources (stuff you consult, read, etc) and activities (stuff you do).  I'm not sure there's any good way around the distinction, since many people tend to think of HTML pages as static and PHP-coded pages as interactive (though of course putting HTML in PHP, and vice versa, blows up the distinction).  Thanks.  -  Peter

In reply to Peter Seaman

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Embedding questions in content is a nice idea. Possibly doable with a filter. The main difficulty is controlling access, so that only teachers can embed questions, and they cannot accedentally embed the exam questions in some other page.

Not sure if anyone is going to work on this any time, but I can't see any fundamental problems to making it work when someone wants to try.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Seaman -

Thanks, Tim.  Yesterday when I asked a colleague about embedding questions, he showed me Google forms, which not only allow you to embed questions but also provide a nice table of student answers for quick and easy comparison (similar to what I get when I link my questions to a MySQL database but w/o any db admin work).  Of course it all belongs to Google, so if someone in the OS community wanted to work on it, that would be great.  Thanks again.  -  Peter

by Astrid Davine -

Sorry, I didn't fully explain myself...

We aren't currently using Moodle.  Our organisation will move to Moodle 2 by the end of the year.

Currently we are using Questionmark Perception for case-based self assessments.  Learners are asked to answer a question (free text/essay) before getting general feedback on that question and then proceeding to the next 'trigger' or step (sometimes with images and other docs) in the case.

We were just checking if we'd be able to do this in Moodle, but we do need a 'Completed' or 'Submitted' recorded for the activity (for each student). The current benefit of Questionmark Perception is that not only is a 'Completed' grade sent to the LMS Gradebook, but we also have ALL the student's responses recorded for each question (just in case a lecturer has a borderline student they want to check on).

Sounds like it is the grading/recording that is the difficult part in Moodle? Anything close to this capability? Or do we have to keep QM Perception for now?

by John Rodgers -

Moodle stores all student responses, including all of the incorrect attempts in adaptive mode, as well as a time stamp. I can't compare, but the quiz module seems to provide the possibilty for a good analysis of responses.

In reply to John Rodgers

by Tim Hunt -

Yes. Moodle stores a lot of information about quiz attempts. I suggest you look closely at Moodle 2.1 when it is released, and if it does not meet all your needs, get back to us with feature requests.

by Ankit Tayal -

When are they going to add functionality of adaptive test in quiz as QuizPost doesnt work with the Moodle2.0.x ? How can we deal with this in the present time?

In reply to Ankit Tayal

by Tim Hunt -

I don't know who this 'they' you refer to is.

Adaptive testing can be implemented, as a separate activity module that uses questions from the question bank, any time someone has the motivation and resources to build such a thing.

In reply to Ankit Tayal

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Ankit, are you talking about the QuizPort module? The successor module in Moodle 2.x is called TaskChain and I expect a preliminary version of it will be ready after the Aug this year (2011). regards Gordon