Please help: quick survey of question types

Please help: quick survey of question types

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 18
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This post is mainly aimed at people who run a lot of Moodle sites (e.g. Moodle partners). Would it be possible for you to run the query

SELECT qtype, COUNT(1)
FROM mdl_question
WHERE hidden = 0 AND parent = 0
GROUP BY qtype
ORDER BY qtype

on as many of the sites you host as possible, and report the totals?

(This is a bit of a pain to do, because you have to connect to the DB for each separate Moodle, and run the query. Obviously, that is scriptable, but someone would have to write the script.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Please help: quick survey of question types

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I suppose I ought to start by giving the numbers from the OU:

qtypecount
calculated 1
ddwtos 2077
description 1227
essay 1329
match 4090
multichoice 35779
numerical 9909
opaque 1783
oumultiresponse 5012
shortanswer 11680
truefalse 4161
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tony Levi -

3 instances, first one is m2, others are 1.9

qtype count

calculated 5377
calculatedmulti 13
calculatedsimple 43
description 42
essay 11714
match 3217
multianswer 7886
multichoice 183721
numerical 46
randomsamatch 3
shortanswer 27240

truefalse

calculated 12545
description 322
essay 1741
match 1322
multianswer 1490
multichoice 29907
numerical 524
shortanswer 4297
truefalse 2973

calculated 5984
description 280
essay 14941
match 10885
multianswer 7868
multichoice 262234
numerical 1428
randomsamatch 2
shortanswer 28457
truefalse 10977
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jonathan Robson -

Attached is a CSV file containing the number instances of each question type for 1494 Moodle sites. Each row is a Moodle site. Each column is a question type.

In reply to Jonathan Robson

by Tim Hunt -

I notice you have three sites with a significant number of Random short-answer matching questions.

I had a bit of an ulterior motive for calling this survey. I was hoping to demonstrate that no-one used that qutstion type, and so it would be safe to move it out of the standard release in Moodle 2.1, and put it in contrib instead.

Would it be possible for you to work out which three of your sites are using that question type; have a bit of a look at what they are doing with it; and perhaps ask them how annoyed they would be if it was not supported in Moodle 2.1? Thanks.

If anyone else has strong opinions about removing the randomsamatch qtype from Moodle 2.1, please speak now.

Making this question type work at all in 2.1 will be really hard (actually, I strongly suspect it does not work at the moment in 2.0. If the randomly selected short-answer questions have images in the question text, then I expect that students will see broken image links. However no-one has reported this bug, which is further evidence that not many people use this qtype).

I think the right way to implement functionality like this is through a separate plugin that can randomly generate a category of matching questions from other questions in the question bank. Like Joseph Rézeau's Export Glossary to Quiz plugin.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jonathan Robson -

Those three sites are actually all the same client (two of them are just test sites). We actually have a staff member who used to work for that client. I'll see if she can chime in on this conversation.

by Tim Hunt -

Thanks for the update.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jonathan Robson -

My co-worker has contacted the client to which I was referring, but unfortunately, they have been unresponsive. mixed

by Tim Hunt -

Well, thanks for trying.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -

Can I say a big thank-you to everyone who has replied to me, either here, or through other channels. I really was not expecting, when I put out this call, to get information about more than 50 million questions from 2500 Moodle sites within two days.

I have aggregated the data I have so far on https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0AvW3H1TnOxK-dEROU2dVQ2lkWDU3SlEzaXJqU2lSRUE&single=true&gid=0&output=html, and will continue to add any further data I get.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael Aherne -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

From University of Strathclyde:

+---------------+----------+
| qtype         | COUNT(1) |
| calculated    |      440 |
| description   |       16 |
| essay         |     3569 |
| match         |     3018 |
| multianswer   |     6125 |
| multichoice   |    50076 |
| numerical     |        8 |
| randomsamatch |        1 |
| shortanswer   |    13942 |
| truefalse     |     1773 |

(I just spoke to the creator of our only "randomsamatch" question - it's only a test question.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Tim,

The results are really fascinating: I hadn't realised so many question types were possible. I really must get over my reluctance to using Quiz which I tend to see as a tool for testing rather than one for learning. I wonder though if the fact that most teachers (87%) use either multichoice or truefalse means that it is mainly being used for testing. thoughtful

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Tim Hunt -

I don't think that is the right conclusion to draw.

I think the key driver is what is going on is ease of use - and I am thinking more at the pedagogical end of things, rather than which button you have to press. When you create a multiple choice question, you can be sure exactly now Moodle will grade every possible student response. With short-answer, you have to start worrying about students misspelling words, and how you will grade that.

Of course, if that was the only consideration, then everyone would use true/false, and we don't see that. So, really it is about pedagogic bang for buck. MC clearly hits a sweet spot of letting teachers ask all sorts of questions, while still being conceptually very simple.

Another thing driving MC use (I guess, and particularly in the US) is the number of standardised tests that use MC - and teachers have to prepare students for those tests.

I am surprised how many essay questions there are. I suppose that once you have decided to bit the bullet and grade manually, then again essay is conceptually very simple and flexible.

In terms of whether all this is formative or summative. What I see at the OU is much more diagnostic use of quizzes - or very low stakes assessed use, awarding just enough marks to encourage students to do the activity, rather than have a major effect on their total course grade.

The point here is that if you are setting up a test for high-stakes assessment, you have to be very careful and check everything several times. On the other hand, if you are just making a self-assessment test for your class, you just need to make something good enough to be useful. On the other hand, if you are doing serious assessment for learning, you need to start writing lots of good feedback, which is more work again. Perhaps I should admin I really don't know what people are actually using the quiz for. I would be interesting to find out.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paul Vaughan -

Appreciate you've got a lot of answers already but here's ours (South Devon College):

description     8
essay     133
match     187
multianswer     38
multichoice     12956
numerical     129
randomsamatch     2
shortanswer     364
truefalse     407

smile

In reply to Paul Vaughan

by Jim Bennett -

We've just finished bringing in our courses from WebCT, and are getting to ready to roll it out to production in September.  I don't know if this data will skew or help what you're looking for, but right now we're sitting with these numbers across 38 courses.  I'm pretty sure the numbers will change as our teachers begin to use Moodle over the next few months.

QTYPE              COUNT
calculated             474
match                   779
multianswer      12335
multichoice       18619
shortanswer      20072

Cheers!

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Luis de Vasconcelos -
qtypecount
essay 31
match 890
multianswer 27
multichoice 42066
shortanswer 2
truefalse 12240

Using Moodle 1.9 in the corporate environment.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Gabriel Dias -
From Universidad Nacional de Quilmes
description--------------43
essay---------------------182
match---------------------113
multichoice-------------1026
shortanswer------------96
truefalse-----------------884
Using Moodle 1.9.6
In reply to Tim Hunt