Is Teacher and Self Assessment only possible with the workspop Module.

Is Teacher and Self Assessment only possible with the workspop Module.

by Rob Monk -
Number of replies: 6

I have an assignment with a rubric.

I want to be able to set up the rubric online using the workshop module. I then want the students to submit their assignment and do a self assessment using the rubric at the time of submission.

I then want to grade the assignment using the same rubric. In this situation I don't want to use peer assessment. Is this possible using the current workshop module?

How would I set it up?

I can see where there is the opportunity for self assessment but cannot see how to do the teacher assessment part.

PS.

I like the way it does rubrics. Can I set one up with just teacher assessment using a rubric?

It should do all these combinations.

• Teacher assessment
  • Teacher and Peer Assessment
  • Teacher and Self Assessment
  • Teacher, Peer and Self Assessment
  • Peer and Self Assessment.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rob Monk

Re: Is Teacher and Self Assessment only possible with the workspop Module.

by Vernellia Randall -

Unlike 1.9, Workshop 2.0 doesn't have a specific column for teacher assessment. However, not to worry, you can do teacher assessment by assigning the submission to your self.  So you would check the self-assessment and only assign the submission to yourself and not to any other students -- I think that will result in the combination you want - self-assessment and teacher assessment.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Vernellia Randall

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, Vernellia is right. In Workshop 2.0, we do not have a concept for teacher assessment any more (as generally in Moodle since 1.7, there is nothing like "students" and "teachers" in fact - there are just roles). And because usually users with the role "Teacher" have the capability to allocate the submission for assessment, they can allocate the submissions they want to assess to themselves. Additionally teachers can also set weights for assessments. So they can set higher weight to their assessment for example, or set the weight of the peer assessments and self-assessments to zero so they are effectively ignored etc.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Russell Waldron -

David, thanks for explaining.

I, too, must use a rubric for marking and feedback. However,

• markers must not be asked to submit work; and
  • students must not be asked to assess work.

Is there any way to set that up in Workshop?

The process needs to scale up to a cohort of 600 students and 100 markers, who won't get much practice, so the student and marker interfaces need to be obvious.

Regards,

Russell

In reply to Russell Waldron

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Russell, yes I believe it is possible. This was one of the use case when the new workshop was being designed. You may want to define new role at your site - let us say "Marker" or use some of the current roles like "Non-editing teacher" for them. Then you override the permissions for the workshop (either for individual workshop or in the whole course) so that

• the marker role does not have the permission "Submit (mod/workshop:submit)" but has the permission "Peer assess (mod/workshop:peerassess)"
  • the student role does not have the permission "Peer assess (mod/workshop:peerassess)"
  • permissions "View author names (mod/workshop:viewauthornames)" and "View reviewer names (mod/workshop:viewreviewernames)" are set as needed

I am a bit afraid the UI is not optimized for this use case much yet so you may need to provide additional information to you users via the workshop description and instructions for markers/students.

Please let us know how it goes!

In reply to David Mudrák

by Russell Waldron -

Thanks for your thoughts David. The permissions tip was good.

However, I'm giving up now, sadly. My intentions were a bit of a stretch from the Workshop concept; and the allocate interface seemed to have a bug.

My goal was to allocate about 6 students to each of 100 assessors. Each student's submission should be viewed only by the allocated assessor.

1. It seems that Teachers get access to all students, and are not restricted to an allocated list.  Workaround: enrol the assessors as Students.

2. It seems that the allocation pull-down list does not show Teachers. Workaround: enrol the assessors as Students.

3. It seems that the allocation pull-down lists omit some members of the same Group, and includes members of other Groups, despite the Separate Groups setting. (Bug?) Workaround: enrol all students and assessors in the same Group.

4. My list of potential reviewers is too long to handle through a pull-down list. (100 markers interspersed amongst 600 students). Workaround: There's no file upload for allocation, so this probably requires a direct database INSERT

Regards,

Russell

In reply to Russell Waldron

by David Mudrák -

Thanks for the info Russell. I am sorry you had to gave up. I just tried to play with the Workshop and I believe I achieved what you described though. Let me share what I did.

In the course, I have one user enrolled as the Teacher, two users enrolled as Non-editing teachers (those will do the actual assessment so you can think of them as your Markers) and couple of users enrolled as Students (those will submit their work). I am logged in as the Teacher who is considered as the co-ordinator of the whole activity here.

There are two groups in the course. Each Non-editing teacher has membership in one of them. My plan is to let students submit their work and then let the work assess by markers.

I created Workshop instance in separate groups mode. The setting "Use peer assessment" does not have much impact in Workshop yet. It is planned that in the future, if this feature is disabled, the user interface would be simplified (or, the setting will be removed eventually). Anyway, I left all three workshop features unchecked.

Then I followed the Settings block > Workshop administration > Permissions and locally overrode permissions. I removed following capabilities from the Non-editing teacher (Marker) role:

• Access all groups
  • Allocate submissions for review
  • Manage example submissions
  • Switch phase
  • View all assessments
  • View all submissions

and I added the role Non-editing teacher to the list of roles that can "Peer assess". And finally I removed the capability "Peer assess" from the role Student.

Students were able to submit their work as expected. To allocate their submissions for assessment, I used the Random allocator. I had to check "Participants can assess without having submitted anything" of course because the Markers did not submit anything. The random allocator picks users with the capability "Peer assess" and allocates them as reviewers (assessors) of submissions. It respects separate and visible group mode so that each Marker received only submissions from their group.

The Manual allocator can be used, too. But as you experienced, it is not intended for large scale groups like you have. For these scenarios, the Random allocator is expected to do the job.

You are right in that the Manual allocator (the one with pull menus) does not obey group mode and even the locally overridden permissions. It may be considered as a bug and I will appreciate if you report it in the tracker.

However, I was able to log in as the Marker and see just assigned submissions to assess. As I was afraid, the UI is not optimized for this use case much yet. For example, students can still read "You have no assigned submission to assess" during the Assessment phase.

Summary: I do not agree much with the workarounds you suggested above. There is an advance setup of permissions available that supports your scenario. And submissions should be allocated using the random allocator in this case, the manual allocator is intended for smaller groups.

HTH