Linking to activities

Linking to activities

by Caryl Gordon -
Number of replies: 3

Hi gang,

We are using Moodle 1.9.7. I would like to link to an activity (forums, assignments, etc.) in a lesson but cannot find where I can do that. Is this even possible in a lesson?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Caryl Gordon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Caryl Gordon

Re: Linking to activities

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well you could get the URL of the activity or assignment and make a hyperlink in the text editor of a branch table -might that work?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Caryl Gordon -

Thanks Mary and Scarlet! I did take part of your suggestions, but did the following:

1. Added another topic/week to the coruse
  2. Moved all activities to the new topic/week
  3. In the Lesson, just typed the name of the activity, which then auto linked to the activity
  4. In the Course Settings, set the number of topics/weeks to the original number so students cannot access or view the topic/week that contains the activites.

So far, it works great!

Caryl

In reply to Caryl Gordon

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Hello Caryl,

We have lots of links to activities and other items in Moodle from our lessons. Unfortunately I've never got to the holy grail of a perfect solution to this - there's always some compromise (often this simply boils down to whether the learner will get lost after being sent somewhere else).

There are a few options:

Link to it via a page jump (as Mary has said). I think this will open it in the same browser window (I am not sure as I've never tried)

Paste it into the text body in the page, like any link (and then you can choose to open it in a new window or the same one)

Import an icon/image and add the link to that (same jumps as above)

Have all the activities group together on the course page clearly and just say in the lesson where they are and what order to do them in (so no jumps inside the lesson itself)

Personally I use a link on a line of text, and next to that link I have an identifying icon. Then my learners know that every time they see that icon the link next to it is an activity link. I always make my links to activities open in a new window (and state this very clearly). During my early testing I did try to open it in the same window during, but learners got so lost and could not get back to where they had been in the lesson. Here's how I do it:

question icon and link

I have seen some other queries about putting the activities inside a frame within the lesson page - don't try this! Once the activity is saved and finished it goes back to the course page - so it's really weird having a frame with the course page inside the lesson!