Grade category point calculation

Grade category point calculation

by Brian De Jesus -
Number of replies: 4

Hello. I've been trying to figure this out for various hours now, with no luck. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance!

Aggregation method: Weighted mean of grades
Category total format: real (percentage)
Category total points: 500
Assignment points: 5 assignments at 100 points each

A student has a 75% for two assignments in the category (the others are ungraded and ignored), effectively making the percentage in the category total 75% as well. Before I experienced this problem, the "real" part of the grade would have shown 150 points; Instead, I'm getting 375. The gradebook is basically taking the average percentage (75%), and populating the "real" portion of the total as a percentage of the total category points (75% of 500 is 375).

This is somehow not only affecting one course, but ALL courses (former courses that were previously correct as well).

Any input would be tremendously appreciated.

In reply to Brian De Jesus

Re: Grade category point calculation

by Bob Puffer -

Hi Brian,

I'm gonna take a swipe at this even though its been a while since we used the regular moodle grader report.  As I recall, what put me into hacking the gradebook at the beginning was its inability to manage "points" as the course progressed.  The "real" grade as its used in the stock grader report is actually only a synonym for percentage.  If you leave the total points for the category at 100 in your example, the real grade should be 75.  In order to show the accurate "points" you'd need to adjust the category total after each grade gets included (200 now, 300 next, etc.).  That is my recollection.  The CLAMP laegrader report "fixes" this.

In reply to Bob Puffer

Re: Grade category point calculation

by Vicki Dunnam -

I am interested in how you have the gradebook giving a accumulative grade to date.  We use sum of points.  For example, the entire course may have 1000 points for the semester.  However, during the semester, the student may have only been able to earn 200 points.  If the students grade is 170, then I need the computer to calcuate a grade to date as 170/200.  Instead it calculates 170/1000 for the entire semester.  Is there a way to fix this?