Course block not displaying categories

Course block not displaying categories

by Jean Jones -
Number of replies: 3

I used the Sticky Blocks option to set the Course categories block to be on these pages:

- MyMoodle (i.e., all pages including the front page)
- Course pages

But when students first log in, they do not see the Course categories block on that page. I'm having a lot of difficulty getting blocks to appear on the pages using Sticky blocks. I can see the blocks just fine as an admin, but not when I log in as a student. So the students are seeing very little (no calendars, no Course categories, etc.) after they log in.

If the student selects a course, then they see a my Categories block (but not the Course categories block that I specified should be there under Sticky blocks).

And then my Course categories block displays our 60+ courses all the way down the screen without any category breakdown.

Could someone please tell me:

• how I can get categories to display there instead?
  • how I can get the Sticky blocks to appear on the Front page and Course page for students after they have logged in?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean Jones

Re: Course block not displaying categories

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Do you mean the "courses" block? The way it works is that as admin you always see the course categories and as a student - once you have enrolled in at least one couse, you see just your courses in that block. If you haven't enrolled in any courses, you see the categories the same as admin. (Admin always sees the categories as they might otherwise have  a huge long list of courses since they can access them all) So the block is working correctly. If you want categories to display for students, you'd need a different block. There might be a contributed module plugin block that might do this -can't remember off hand but worth a search in the downloads and plugins area of this site. The simple answer is to make a "sticky" HTML block and manually add links to your categories. Then do not display the courses block;display your home-made categories block instead.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Course block not displaying categories

by Jean Jones -

Ok, I see. I guess the problem for us is that we have given all our employees global student access so they can take any course without having to get someone to approve it or assign them with a Student role to a specific class.

As a result, when a student sees the courses block, they see every course (over 60 of them) listed in the system.

And thank you for the HTML suggestion.  I don't know why I didn't think of that, but an HTML block pointing to the major categories would work perfectly!  smile