M2 folder tool / 'embedded website'

M2 folder tool / 'embedded website'

by sam marshall -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

I have some random html, CSS, JS, video files, etc that somebody has used to build a static 'website' consisting of multiple pages, links, and so on.

We would like this to be served from our Moodle 2 behaving as a basic (rather slow) webserver, i.e. students can click a link to the html and it appears in their browser (with no Moodle navigation or anything like that - just like if they had the html file on their hard disk and double-clicked it).

In Moodle 1.9 you could upload the files to the Files area of the website and then link to it. Pretty crappy but it worked.

In Moodle 2 I thought I could use the Folder tool, upload these files to it, and then link to it. Well, I can put the files into the Folder (one at a time) but cannot link to an html file in there to view it, it always downloads (even if I manually remove the forcedownload=1 from the URL).

IMS Content Package would work and it is definitely helpful to be able to upload an entire zip of files at once EXCEPT that in this case we need to be able to add the videos separately because they will total more than 105MB.

I'm sure this must be an FAQ - if so, could somebody point me to the relevant documentation (I couldn't find anything about Folder on moodle docs) or previous discussion, please? Otherwise what's the best approach?

I don't particularly want to do development just for this, I guess I could if I have to.

A backup plan is for the people who want these to stick their 'website' on some other random web server, meaning that it won't be properly supported and will probably be overrun by hackers, viruses, etc...

--sam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sam marshall

Re: M2 folder tool / 'embedded website'

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Use the file rather than the folder resource; upload the folder, unzip and choose "select main file" That should work. At least, that's how you can display websites in Moodle 2.0  Although ..if you have to add the videos separately, I'm not sure..thoughtful

In reply to Mary Cooch

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Oooh, duh. Thanks!

For some reason I thought File only did a single file... Knew I was missing something stupid though.

I think this will work for adding the videos as well (assuming each individual video is less than 110MB or whatever) as you can add files individually after doing the unzip.

--sam

In reply to sam marshall

by sam marshall -

Incidentally there does not seem to be a way to make the HTML file open in the same window, without including the Moodle navigation. (I thought 'Open' [as opposed to 'Embed'] would do that, but it doesn't.) However you can open it in a popup.

--sam