Change the Resoure name to a picture

Change the Resoure name to a picture

by Niv berco -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I whould like to know if anyone know how to change the title of a Resource from a simple name to a picture...?

thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Niv berco

Ang: Change the Resoure name to a picture

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just to be sure, do you mean that you want to have a clickable image on the course front page that links to a resource or activity?

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Change the Resoure name to a picture

by Niv berco -

hi Bente,

Yes, that is the resolt that i wish to have in the end.

i know... i can put a picture inside a "label" and hiyper link it to the Web page. but i want to discared the "exstra" web page link. i just want to have a picture that lead to a web page...

do you have any idea how to do that? maybe by "playing" with my CSS files?

In reply to Niv berco

Ang: Re: Ang: Change the Resoure name to a picture

by Bente Olsen -

Ok, you can not entirely avoid the 'extra' link, but you can hide the original link so it is not shown. To do that place the resource in a hidden section.

In the course settings set the number of weeks/topics to one more than you need, place the resource in that, and then after having made your image link in a lable, set the number of sections back to the original number.

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Change the Resoure name to a picture

by Niv berco -

yee... that is a good idea....

i thought about this option or to put all my "web pages" in another course.

so you are saying that it would be easier and simpler to hide the last block that will contain all my web pages... i think you are right. i will do that and hope my boss wouldn't notice smile

Thank !

In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Change the Resoure name to a picture

by Pieter van der Hijden -

How it works and the amazing result (especially with pictures) is explained by Marie Cooch in the first chapter of her Packt book on "Moodle 1.9 Teaching for 7-14 years old".

I think, in fact it is an anomaly in Moodle 1.9 that is exploited in this way. When you do the same in Moodle 2.0, the mystified activities are listed as "Orphanized activities" at the bottom of your center column. As such they are only visible for teachers. Nevertheless, the link still works for students.

If you consider the same mechanism for your frontpage, create the extra webpages in the main menu block and make that block invisible then. Links to these webpages are still working!

Best Regards,
Pieter van der Hijden

In reply to Pieter van der Hijden

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Change the Resoure name to a picture

by Bente Olsen -

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for explaining the situation in Moodle 2.0.

Regarding Moodle 1.9: Last year (or earlier?) I collected 4 courses in one using that method, a lot of assignments located in not shown sections were linked to from webpages. But the teachers did not like it. Unfortunately I forgot why, there was a drawback related to the teachers work with submissions. I will try to find out what the problem was and then come back.

In reply to Bente Olsen

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Change the Resoure name to a picture

by Bente Olsen -

Got it: If you place activities in hidden categories you are not able to see reports for those activities for a student if you clik on a profile -> Activity reports.